Mac Pro2,1 Compatibility Best Card for a MacPro2,1

I would like to put a Quadra FX 4800 in my MacPro Desktop. But I read somewhere that my model of Mac does not support it?
Model Name: Mac Pro
Model Identifier: MacPro2,1
Processor Name: Quad-Core Intel Xeon
Processor Speed: 3 GHz
Number Of Processors: 2
Total Number Of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per processor): 8 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Bus Speed: 1.33 GHz
Boot ROM Version: MP21.007F.B06

I am 3D rendering on multiple GPU’s for Octane Render using the multiple card cuda cores.
I need the ram that the Quadra FX 4800 offers but would settle for GTX 285 if I had to.

But need to know if they will work with this model
Thanks
Peter

Just as an addition to the question … I know the Quadra is native OSX and I am hoping that teh GTX 285 is also… but the Nvidia site makes it sound like it only runs on Bootcamp. I need to be able to run native OSX if that helps answer the question more specifically re the model I have.

Thanks

Peter

you need to get a card that has an EFI not a BIOS. because macs choose to be different to PC’s, the graphics cards must be different too. also your PSU must be able to provide enough amps on the 12v rails for a high end graphics card.

cards supplied with EFI not a BIOS are listed as mac compatible.

Thanks.

Is there a way that you know of to find out if the model number of the Mac I listed has that power capability?

Then if so… to find on n-vidia’s site which ones are EFI and not BIOS the specs do not shw that as far as I can tell

Thanks

Peter

im afraid im not a mac person, unless you can pop the side off and look at the sticker on the side of the PSU (assuming apple have that) or find a mac guy to ask…

this may interest you though - http://store.apple.com/uk/product/TW387ZM/A

Thanks yes that does look good… same resolution as Quadra 4800FX Apples systems requirements say that I need 800 MHZ ram and mine is 667 so i am not sure if it will work.

I hope someone with a mac may have had some experience with these.

Appreciate your help

Peter

load of bollocks it will work with 667mhz RAM!

if it doesnt then i will lose what little faith i had in apple.

they probably say you need 800mhz RAM to make sure you have the best experience or something, the difference though in gaming from 667 to 800mhz RAM is negligible.

might be worth asking apple directly.