matrix solver with 1 thread per block

Hi all,

I am trying to use the lu decomposition algorithm to solve a tridiagonal matrix on CUDA. I am using the serial lu decomposition method in the kernel and one thread in each block will solve the matrix serially in a loop.

I am hoping that running several blocks in parallel will speed up the performance.

But when I have a large number of blocks solveing matrices of size 256 I get the following error after kernel is called:

too many resouces requested for launch

below you can see when I call the kernel in main:

int blockSize = 1;

int numBlocks = 8;

int sharedmem = 256 * sizeof(float2);

cu_solve<<<numBlocks, blockSize, sharedmem >>> (device_upperdiag, device_diag, device_lowerdiag, device_inputVector, device_outputVector);

and here is the kernel:

global void cu_solve(float2 *device_upperdiag, float2 *device_diag, float2 *device_lowerdiag, float2 *device_inputVector, float2 *device_outputVector)

{

extern __shared__ float psave[];

int loop;

float bsave;

int idx=blockIdx.x*SIZE;

idx=blockIdx.x*SIZE;

bsave = device_diag[idx].x;

device_outputVector[idx].x = device_inputVector[idx].x / bsave;

for (loop = idx+1; loop < idx+SIZE; loop++ )

{

psave[loop] = device_upperdiag[loop - 1].x / bsave;

bsave = device_diag[loop].x - psave[loop] * device_lowerdiag[loop - 1].x;

device_outputVector[loop].x = (device_inputVector[loop].x - device_lowerdiag[loop - 1].x * device_outputVector[loop - 1].x) / bsave;

} 

for (loop = idx+SIZE - 2; loop >= idx; loop-- )

device_outputVector[loop].x -= psave[loop + 1] * device_outputVector[loop + 1].x;

}

can anyone help me with this please :)

When you say large number ? How many blocks are you running ? and still you have 1 thread per block ?

Thanks

actually I solved the problem. I was using so much of shared memory. I am now having 4 threads per block and 256 blocks. I can increase the number of threads but the performance doesnt improve. for some reason 4 threads per blocks gives me the best time.

The only thing is that now i am not using shared memory at all, I am just reading from global memory 1024 elements in a loop and still the performance is faster than cpu.