Maya Connector install on Fedora

Hello
I’m just curious, why Maya Connector only support CentOS?
The preinstall.sh script prevents to run install from Launcher on other linux distros.
Though, I’ve tried to install Maya Connector “by hand” on Fedora 34 and it works.
At least, starting from maya-connector-103.1.14. (103.2.1 works too)

Hi!, could you please point how did you install “by hand”?

There is a short period of time during install, when downloaded “Autofesk Maya.zip” exists in newly created folder “~/.local/share/ov/pkg/maya-connector-<new version>”. It can be on time to move it to other place before Launcher deletes this folder after “unsuccessful” install.
After that, you can expand this archive to “maya-connector-<new version>” and run “setup.sh” in terminal.

1 Like

thanks for the quick answer!

Hi Yuri:
What you get if you run this script on your OS?

cat /proc/version

Hi, juma
On Fedora 34 I get this string:

Linux version 5.17.6-100.fc34.x86_64 (mockbuild@bkernel01.iad2.fedoraproject.org) (gcc (GCC) 11.3.1 20220421 (Red Hat 11.3.1-2), GNU ld version 2.35.2-6.fc34) #1 SMP PREEMPT Mon May 9 14:41:31 UTC 2022

I think it would be nice to check inside “preinstall.sh” not only for “centos” version, but for other “Red Hat” distros like “Fedora” too.
And may be for “Rocky Linux”, as mentioned in this post https://forums.developer.nvidia.com/t/cant-install-maya-connector-on-rocky-linux-8-6/215219

1 Like

Currently, Omniverse supports Linux Ubuntu and CentOS . CentOS was the most common install supported by Autodesk for Maya.

This is true that Maya supports CentOS officially…but it installs and works on other distros too.
And BTW, Linux installators for Omniverse Create and Code currently doesn’t check for “centos” in preinstall.sh script.
I think that removing this OS check from preinstall.sh for maya connector, will just help to grow amount of users who would like to try Omniverse products on their systems.

2 Likes

Just to state that Maya 2023 now officially supports Rocky Linux.

1 Like