Measure frames per second of GUI

Hi there,

is there someone that might recommend me a proper free tool to measure den frames per second of my GUI?
I use a Nvidia Jeston Nano with the DEveloper Kit (Ubuntu 18.04), where i run a Qt5 GUI with QtQuick on two Displays using hte DP and HDMI port. The GUI animation runs very smoothly, but I need to measure the FPS for proof.

Any recommendations?
Kind regards

Hi

Does Qt provide any tool to measure its own rendering rate?

There is no such tool.

1 Like

Yes, but unfortunately i can’t run it on the Nano, i think the QtCreator Version (development environment of Qt) that is available for the Nano is too old.

I also was not successful installing MangoHud, a tool to measure FPS.

Hello,

Let me say more about this.
Actually, there are lots of part to measure the “framerate”

For example, I am not sure you want the the real time that a frame is scanout from the display side or you just want the measurement of how much frames your Qt is buffering in each second.

Generally, the scanout part of display hardware should not be a problem. If the display gives you 60fps, then it will scanout 60fps .

As for the graphic part, it depends on how the backend of your Qt implementation. However, I guess this part is handled by Qt already so you may not know how they implement it too. That is why I think you might need to use measurement tool/API from Qt instead of from NV.

1 Like

Well, there are some programs that can measure the FPS of any application, but I’m was not able to install any of them on the Nano.

There is a Qt Tool called “Qml Profiler”, which measures rendering rate and everything, but I’m not able to make it work on Nano, because there is only an older QtCreator Version available. On my Laptop everything works fine.

He is my thread in the Qt Forum.

1 Like

Well, there are some programs that can measure the FPS of any application, but I’m was not able to install any of them on the Nano.

Could you share (more) these tools?

MangoHud is the free tool i wanted to work with. For Qt the in-built Qml Profiler of QtCreator is great, embedded wizard studio offers an alternative for GUI applications. FRAPS and FPS Monitor only work for specific applications.

A friend of mine uses WireShark to analyze protocols and somehow is able to check for FPS as well, but i can’t make it run on the Nano.