memory addressing How to read/write a specific memory location given its address?

I wanna manager the memory more specificallly. That is, is any instruct supported by Tesla which can access memory per the given memory address? Thanks for your help.

Dereference a pointer?

Dereference a pointer?

I mean if there is some instruct of Tesla like ’ read $0xAE09F00A’ and ‘write $0xAE09F00A’ to read/write a specfic location in device memory. In other words, would you please explain the addressing model of Tesla? Tks

Michael

I mean if there is some instruct of Tesla like ’ read $0xAE09F00A’ and ‘write $0xAE09F00A’ to read/write a specfic location in device memory. In other words, would you please explain the addressing model of Tesla? Tks

Michael

The detailed answer is found in the PTX documentation in the CUDA toolkit.

The detailed answer is found in the PTX documentation in the CUDA toolkit.

First, thanks for your information. I have read the documentation about PTX. Tesla does incorporate instructs to maneuver memory cells. However, I am still wondering whether the addressing model of Tesla is just like that of CPU: virtual addressing, which means the given address is virtual but not real. Would you please give me some hint? You are highly appreciated.

First, thanks for your information. I have read the documentation about PTX. Tesla does incorporate instructs to maneuver memory cells. However, I am still wondering whether the addressing model of Tesla is just like that of CPU: virtual addressing, which means the given address is virtual but not real. Would you please give me some hint? You are highly appreciated.

I don’t have an authoritative answer, but looking at returned pointers (returning the same value from different concurrent contexts) and trying to access random unallocated memories (fails and crashes the kernel with illegal memory access) I would venture to guess that there is some sort of virtual memory in Tesla. Windows 7 even goes as far as to swap memory in and out of the card.

I don’t have an authoritative answer, but looking at returned pointers (returning the same value from different concurrent contexts) and trying to access random unallocated memories (fails and crashes the kernel with illegal memory access) I would venture to guess that there is some sort of virtual memory in Tesla. Windows 7 even goes as far as to swap memory in and out of the card.

At first, I thought this would not be possible. I’m very new to this so I figured I better read up a bit more before I opened my mouth. I came across this link which is too far over my head to really say yes or no, but it is an interesting discussion. There seem to be several thoughts that might keep your hopes up. The road doesnt look easy. Good luck.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/647783/…access-in-linux

At first, I thought this would not be possible. I’m very new to this so I figured I better read up a bit more before I opened my mouth. I came across this link which is too far over my head to really say yes or no, but it is an interesting discussion. There seem to be several thoughts that might keep your hopes up. The road doesnt look easy. Good luck.

http://stackoverflow.com/questions/647783/…access-in-linux