Memory problem with dynamic array in kernel

Hi all!

I have a molecular dynamics code that has some portions parallelized with cuda. I am using Ubuntu 14.04 and cuda 7.5 drivers.

One of the kernels counts the number of particles that are separated by a certain distance (basically a frequency histogram). In this kernel I allocate dynamically the array P using new:

__global__ void correl_kernel(const double *pos, double *hist1, double *hist2, const int *Npart, int NC, const double* L, int n_bars, int n_poly, double bar_w){
  int n = threadIdx.x + blockDim.x * blockIdx.x;

int Tpart = 0;
  for(int l = 0; l < NC; ++l)
    Tpart += Npart[l];

if(n > 1 && n < Tpart){
    int npp = n_poly;    // n_poly = 150 
    double* P =  new double[npp];                                 
    P[0] = 1.; //THIS IS LINE 916! (where the error is reported when using lots of particles)

int k = 0;
    int Tt = 0;
    for(int m = 0; m < NC; ++m){
      Tt += Npart[m];
      if(n < Tt)
        break;
      k++;
    }

for(int i = 0; i < 2; ++i){

double rij[3];
      for(int a = 0; a < 3; ++a){
        rij[a] = pos[i*3+a] - pos[n*3+a];
        rij[a] -= L[a] * floor(rij[a] / L[a] + 0.5);
      }
      double RIJsq = rij[0]*rij[0] + rij[1]*rij[1] + rij[2]*rij[2];
      double RIJ = sqrt(RIJsq);

int bin = static_cast<int>(floor(RIJ / bar_w));
      if(bin < n_bars){
        double doti = rij[2] / RIJ; 

P[1] = doti;
        for(int l = 2; l < npp; ++l)
          P[l] = ((2.*(l-1)+1.)*doti*P[l-1] - (l-1)*P[l-2])/l;
        for(int l = 0; l < npp; ++l){ //use all polyn. 

if(i == 0)
            atomicAdd(&hist1[(k-2)*n_poly*n_bars+l*n_bars+bin], P[l]); // l=0, l=1, l=2, ...                                                                                     
          else if(i == 1)
            atomicAdd(&hist2[(k-2)*n_poly*n_bars+l*n_bars+bin], P[l]);
        }
      }

}
    delete[] P;
  }
}

If I understood correctly

new

will work for compute cap. 3.5 and up, and my card is a Tesla K20. In fact it compiles correctly and runs fine in general (memcheck does not give any errors), until I use a large number of particles (>~3000) (which does not modify the size of the dynamic array P, just the Tpart variable) a memory error appears when using cuda-memcheck:

========= CUDA-MEMCHECK
========= Invalid __global__ write of size 8
=========     at 0x00000418 in /home/carlos/CPP/mdChaSphere/cuda_ready/cuda/long_range/mean_f/v12/dev_functions.cu:916:correl_kernel(double const *, double*, double*, int const *, int, double const *, int, int, double)
=========     by thread (12,0,0) in block (0,0,0)
=========     Address 0x00000000 is out of bounds
=========     Saved host backtrace up to driver entry point at kernel launch time
=========     Host Frame:/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libcuda.so.1 (cuLaunchKernel_ptsz + 0x2c5) [0x1472e5]
=========     Host Frame:/usr/local/cuda-7.5/lib64/libcudart.so.7.5 [0x14623]
=========     Host Frame:/usr/local/cuda-7.5/lib64/libcudart.so.7.5 (cudaLaunch_ptsz + 0x154) [0x3d134]
=========     Host Frame:./md_ch_sphere [0x52ba]
=========     Host Frame:./md_ch_sphere [0x8b87]
=========     Host Frame:./md_ch_sphere [0x8bec]
=========     Host Frame:./md_ch_sphere [0x7e02]
=========     Host Frame:./md_ch_sphere [0x3e7f]
=========     Host Frame:/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libc.so.6 (__libc_start_main + 0xf5) [0x21ec5]
=========     Host Frame:./md_ch_sphere [0x51cf]
=========

Can someone please orient me in finding the source of the problem?

Thank you

read the documentation (in-kernel new behaves similarly to in-kernel malloc):

http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/cuda-c-programming-guide/index.html#dynamic-global-memory-allocation-and-operations

any time you use new or malloc (especially if you are having trouble with the code), it’s a good idea to test the returned pointer for NULL. If it is NULL, you ran out of memory (you can use an assert() if you want at that point to cause your kernel to halt). If you ignore that, and attempt to use the pointer anyway, it’s no surprise that you run into this:

Address 0x00000000 is out of bounds
          ^^^^^^^
        a NULL pointer

Presumably as you increase the number of particles, something about your code (maybe you launch more threads?) leads to more usage of dynamic allocation, and you run into the device heap limit that is indicated in the documentation. As indicated in the documentation, you can raise this limit.

It is exactly as you say txbob (the pointer evaluates to NULL when more threads are launched). I will check the documentation to rise the limit of the heap.

Than you!