MIPI CSI2 transmit question

Hello Everyone,

Our company is developing a LiDAR system for autonomous vehicles. We would like to send raw LiDAR data to a Jetson Tx2 in order to use the GPU for post processing. We need around 14 Gbps throughput to transmit the raw data. It looks like 3 4-lane MIPI bricks and give us the throughput we need. The data does not have to be synchronous.

The FPGA team working on our LiDAR system is pretty busy so I am thinking about how I can move the development along. Can the TX2 board’s MIPI CSI2 interfaces be set up to transmit data? If so, I could simulate our LiDAR sensor with a TX2 sending the data and then have another TX2 and receive and process the data.

I have not done any embedded Linux so the learning curve here is probably steep. It seems like developing a driver to transmit/receive packets of data over the MIPI interface should be relatively straight forward. It looks like the interface protocol has a “user defined” data type. We don’t need anything in the ISP or any of the GStreamer pipeline features. Would I use V4L2 at all?

Thanks

Justin

TX2 receive MIPI data only, can’t send data.
You can use v4l2 to bypass the ISP pipeline.

Below document may help for driver development.
https://docs.nvidia.com/jetson/l4t/index.html#page/Tegra%2520Linux%2520Driver%2520Package%2520Development%2520Guide%2Fcamera_sensor_prog.html%23wwpID0E0QG0HA