Modulus Bare Metal Installation Not working

I tried to follow the instructions on Modulus Installation guide/Modulus Bare Metal Installation:

Installation Guidelines
Release v21.06 | November 9, 2021

After running:
tar -xvzf ./modulus_image_v21.06.tar.gz

I cannot:

cd ./Modulus/
python setup.py install

because setup.py is not in the list of uncompressed files, or install, or even a Modulus folder, just a long list of folders.

What am I missing?

1 Like

Hi, for bare metal installation of Modulus, please use the “Download Modulus 21.06 Archive for Linux” tab under “Compressed Tar Archive”. You have downloaded the Modulus docker image and that is why you are not able to see the setup file.

2 Likes

Hi! Thanks for the help. I was able to install it following your suggestion, but now TensorFlow is complaining. It looks like an intermediate option will be to downgrade TensorFlow installation to 1.15 as it is suggested on the manual:

AttributeError Traceback (most recent call last)
in
----> 1 from modulus.solver import Solver

~/Modulus/modulus/init.py in
9 from . import graph
10 from . import learning_rate
—> 11 from . import optimizer
12 from .node import Node
13 from .arch import Arch

~/Modulus/modulus/optimizer.py in
351 return loss
→ 353 class AdamOptimizerWrapper(tf.train.AdamOptimizer):
354 def init(self, learning_rate, beta1, beta2, epsilon, alpha, num_terms, local_annealing):
355 self.alpha = alpha

AttributeError: module ‘tensorflow._api.v2.train’ has no attribute ‘AdamOptimizer’

It looks like you are using TensorFlow 2. Modulus is currently based on TensorFlow 1.15, so please downgrade your TensorFlow version.

1 Like

Thank you for your response. Correct. I am trying to install Modulus and then launch Jupyter Notebook, so downgrading TensorFlow may cause other problems (Linux OS). I am currently evaluating creating a virtual environment and other alternatives.

Hey @mnabian,

I can’t seem to see how to start a new discussion post. If you could point me in the right direction that would be much appreciated.

I am having problems with installing the PySDF library with the bare metal installation. It seems to install but when I very the installation it says that there is an import error.

ImportError: libsdf.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Have posted a new topic about my issue here: Problems installing the PySDF library wuth the bare metal installation