Move OS to USB SSD

1. The board config should be jetson-nano-qspi-sd

2. Please check if your Linux_for_Tegra/bootloader folder has system.img or not.

Mounting a file requires loopback. Use “-o loop”, e.g.:
sudo mount -o loop bootloader/system.img.raw ./tmp_system

Without the loopback option it assumes “bootloader/system.img.raw” is a block device special file, but it is really just binary content with no meaning until loopback covers it.

OK. I did all that. First without the ‘-o loop’, then With that added option.
Both times I got the same UBUNTU Box message
"Installation failed
The installer encountered an unrecoverable error. A desktop session will now be run that you may investigate the problem or try installing again.’ Box message OK, I selected OK

I am seeing many 'Started Session ‘23’ of user gnome-initial-setup
Startup user Manager for UID 123
Started Wait until snap is fully seeded
The last one so far is a Green [ OK ] started update UTMP about System Runlevel Changes. at 16:35.
I give up!
I wanted to do this the Nvidia way, but …
I finished using the JetsonHacks method.

If you could post a full log of the command used, then the debug messages would become usable. An example of logging a command (I don’t know what your specific command is, so I’ll pretend the command is “ls”):
ls 2>&1 | tee my_log.txt
(substitute everything you used for your command with “ls”, and then append everything from the “2>&1” and further to the right…should create “my_log.txt”)

If the command and error are from a purely GUI app which you did not run on command line, then there might be some alternative method of logging, but I don’t know what your most recent error is from.

Just a note, moving to an SSD or other setup has changed over time. Not sure if the JetsonHacks method applies to your release. You can see your release via “head -n 1 /etc/nv_tegra_release”.

Now I have completed a few simple steps (without using the SDK and other things) and very easily launched the system from a USB media to Jetson-Nano.

1. I downloaded the latest image for SD card for Jetson-Nano, unpacked it and wrote it to the SD card (as usual images are written to any medium).
  2. Connected the resulting SD card to the Nano (a monitor, keyboard and mouse are connected to it, no PC connections are needed).
  3. Turned on the power. The system automatically started from the SD card and itself (without my participation) updated the bootloader in Nano (SPI).
  4. The system started automatically from the SD card .
  5. I performed the initial settings Turned off Nano.
  6. Wrote the same image for SD card to a USB drive. I opened a file on a USB drive in the editor (/boot/extlinux/extlinux.conf) and simply replaced the fragment in the APPEND line with “mmcblk0p1” with “sda1”.
  7. I connected the USB media to the Nano, turned on the power and voila, the system is running from the USB media.

I pay attention, I didn’t do any complex operations with the SDK and other things, the whole process took 15 minutes.

ps As a USB carrier, I used a USB-SD card adapter and used the same SD card as a USB. But I think it doesn’t matter which USB media to use. The logs clearly show that the system is running and fully works only from a USB drive.

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.