Multiple launches of a single cudaGraphExec_t executing in parallel, in contrast to documentation?

Hello,

I am trying to use a cudaGraphExec_t to represent the computations in a single iteration of an iterative algorithm. Then, I launch the cudaGraphExec_t as many times as algorithm iterations should be done.

Unfortunately, it seems that this only works correctly if I run cudaStreamSynchronize(stream) on the stream that the graph exec is launched on in-between graph iterations (causing unnecessary synchronization overhead). If I omit the synchronization, the results are incorrect. According to my understanding of the CUDA documentation, this synchronization should not be necessary: in section 3.2.6.6.5. Using Graph APIs of the CUDA C Programming Guide, it is stated:

A cudaGraphExec_t cannot run concurrently with itself. A launch of a cudaGraphExec_t will be ordered after previous launches of the same executable graph.

Thus I would not expect any concurrency issues in this situation, since it seems that multiple launches of the same cudaGraphExec_t should get ordered to run after each other. However, the actual behavior seems to be that multiple invocations of the same cudaGraphExec_t do run concurrently with each other, causing the issues.

Am I doing or understanding something wrong here, or is there an issue with CUDA?

Below is a full example code to demonstrate the problem. The code builds a graph with three nodes:

1. memset() a float to zero.
  2. Run a kernel with 2 * 1024 threads, where each CUDA thread increments the float by 1, and one thread prints “This is a device printf() to make this kernel call take more time.”
  3. Run a kernel with a single CUDA thread that prints the float’s value.

Node 1 has no dependencies, while each following node depends on the previous node. The graph (exec) is launched twice. Given that a cudaGraphExec_t should not run concurrently with itself, I would expect that all nodes run in the order 1., 2., 3., 1., 2., 3. without overlap and the correct output should be:

This is a device printf() to make this kernel call take more time.
Value of deviceFloat: 2048.000000

However, without running cudaStreamSynchronize(stream) between the two launches of the graph exec, there are different (non-deterministic) outputs, for example:

Value of deviceFloat: 2080.000000

or

Value of deviceFloat: 4064.000000
Value of deviceFloat: 4096.000000

So, the two launches of the graph exec are obviously running in parallel, which seems to contradict the documentation, if I understand it correctly.

Here is the code:

#include <iostream>
#include <memory>

// Standard CUDA error checking macro
#define CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cuda_call)                                         \
  do {                                                                       \
    cudaError error = (cuda_call);                                           \
    if (cudaSuccess != error) {                                              \
      std::cout << "Cuda Error: " << cudaGetErrorString(error) << std::endl; \
    }                                                                        \
  } while(false)

__global__ void AccumulationKernel(float* deviceFloat) {
  if (blockIdx.x == 0 && threadIdx.x == 0) {
    printf("This is a device printf() to make this kernel call take more time.\n");
  }

// Inefficient accumulation, just for testing
  atomicAdd(deviceFloat, 1.f);
}

__global__ void PrintKernel(float* deviceFloat) {
  if (blockIdx.x == 0 && threadIdx.x == 0) {
    printf("Value of deviceFloat: %f\n", static_cast<double>(*deviceFloat));
  }
}

int main(int /*argc*/, char** /*argv*/) {
  // Allocate memory for a float number
  float* deviceFloat;
  CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaMalloc(&deviceFloat, sizeof(float)));

// Create a CUDA graph
  cudaGraph_t graph;
  CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaGraphCreate(&graph, 0));

// First graph node: Set deviceFloat to zero via a memset. No dependencies.
  cudaMemsetParams memsetParams{};
  memsetParams.dst = deviceFloat;
  memsetParams.elementSize = 1;
  memsetParams.width = 1 * sizeof(float);
  memsetParams.height = 1;

cudaGraphNode_t memsetNode;
  CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaGraphAddMemsetNode(&memsetNode, graph, nullptr, 0, &memsetParams));

// Second graph node: Accumulate some values onto deviceFloat in a kernel call. Depends on memsetNode.
  const void* accumParams[] = {
      &deviceFloat};

cudaKernelNodeParams params{};
  params.func = reinterpret_cast<void*>(&AccumulationKernel);
  params.gridDim = dim3(2);
  params.blockDim = dim3(1024);
  params.kernelParams = const_cast<void**>(accumParams);

cudaGraphNode_t accumNode;
  CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaGraphAddKernelNode(&accumNode, graph, /*dependencies*/ &memsetNode, /*dependenciesCount*/ 1, &params));

// Third graph node: Print the value of deviceFloat. Depends on accumNode.
  const void* printParams[] = {
      &deviceFloat};

params.func = reinterpret_cast<void*>(&PrintKernel);
  params.gridDim = dim3(1);
  params.blockDim = dim3(1);
  params.kernelParams = const_cast<void**>(printParams);

cudaGraphNode_t printNode;
  CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaGraphAddKernelNode(&printNode, graph, /*dependencies*/ &accumNode, /*dependenciesCount*/ 1, &params));

// Create graph exec and destroy the graph
  cudaGraphExec_t graphExec;
  char errorLog[512] = {0};
  cudaGraphNode_t errorNode = nullptr;
  cudaError_t error = cudaGraphInstantiate(&graphExec, graph, &errorNode, errorLog, 512);
  if (error != cudaSuccess) {
    errorLog[511] = 0;
    std::cout << "Cuda error in cudaGraphInstantiate(): " << cudaGetErrorString(error) << "\n"
              << "Error log: " << errorLog << "\n"
              << "Error node: " << errorNode << std::endl;
  }
  CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaGraphDestroy(graph));

// Create a stream
  cudaStream_t stream;
  CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaStreamCreate(&stream));

// Launch the graph exec two times in the stream
  for (int i = 0; i < 2; ++ i) {
    CUDA_CHECKED_CALL(cudaGraphLaunch(graphExec, stream));

// Uncomment this to get correct behavior:
    // cudaStreamSynchronize(stream);
  }

// Wait for all device operations to complete
  cudaDeviceSynchronize();

// Clean up
  cudaGraphExecDestroy(graphExec);
  cudaStreamDestroy(stream);
  cudaFree(deviceFloat);

return 0;
}

I am on Manjaro Linux, using a Geforce GTX 1080, and the NVIDIA Driver Version is 460.39.

Manjaro Linux is not a supported platform for CUDA. I don’t know for sure that is the issue, simply pointing it out. I also note you don’t mention which CUDA version you are using.

When I run your posted code as-is (didn’t uncomment anything), several times, on CUDA 11.2, Centos 7, driver 460.27.04, V100, I always (~10 runs) only get:

$ ./t1832

I also note that the order of output lines is different.

Thank you for your reply. Sorry, I forgot to state the CUDA version; the output of nvcc --version on my system is:

nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2020 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Mon_Nov_30_19:08:53_PST_2020
Cuda compilation tools, release 11.2, V11.2.67
Build cuda_11.2.r11.2/compiler.29373293_0

It seems that the program does not exhibit the problematic behavior on your system, showing the correct output instead. I can try testing on a dual-boot Windows on the same PC as the Manjaro Linux installation, as well as on a laptop with Ubuntu 18.04 and a GTX 1070, to see whether I can reproduce the issue on other systems (with supported platforms).

What is your compile command line? I’m reaching here since I’m unable to see the reported issue.

I used CMake with the following CMakeLists.txt file to build the test program, with the source in src/test-project/main.cu:

cmake_minimum_required(VERSION 3.0)

project(test-project CXX CUDA)

set(CMAKE_CXX_STANDARD 17)

add_executable(test-project
  src/test-project/main.cu
)
target_compile_options(test-project PUBLIC
  "$<$<COMPILE_LANGUAGE:CXX>:-Wall>"
  ";$<$<COMPILE_LANGUAGE:CXX>:-Wextra>"
  ";$<$<COMPILE_LANGUAGE:CXX>:-O2>"
  ";$<$<COMPILE_LANGUAGE:CXX>:-msse2>"
  ";$<$<COMPILE_LANGUAGE:CXX>:-msse3>"
)

According to the output of VERBOSE=1 make, this results in the following compile and link calls:

# Compile
/opt/cuda/bin/nvcc -forward-unknown-to-host-compiler   -std=c++17 -x cu -c /home/thomas/Projects/test-project-cuda/src/test-project/main.cu -o CMakeFiles/test-project.dir/src/test-project/main.cu.o
# Link
/opt/cuda/bin/g++ CMakeFiles/test-project.dir/src/test-project/main.cu.o -o test-project  -lcudadevrt -lcudart_static -lrt -lpthread -ldl  -L"/opt/cuda/targets/x86_64-linux/lib/stubs" -L"/opt/cuda/targets/x86_64-linux/lib"

I tested on my laptop now, and the program always seems to print this (presumably incorrect) output on that system:

Value of deviceFloat: 2080.000000

This laptop runs a (K)ubuntu 18.04 installation with kernel 4.15.0-122-generic, NVIDIA Driver Version 460.39, CUDA 11.1 (V11.1.74), with a Geforce GTX 1070. The used gcc version seems to be 7.5.0.

When I switch to a different GPU (kepler) I see the output that appears to be incorrect. It’s not obvious to me that you are doing anything “wrong”, there do not seem to be any runtime error reports, and even if we ignore your documentation citation, this would appear to violate stream semantics.

You might wish to file a bug using the information in the sticky link at the top of this sub-forum. You might wish to include a possible operation that observing the issue may depend on the GPU type being used.

Thank you for testing this and confirming that there appears to be incorrect behavior in some cases. I will file a bug as suggested.

I’ll help add the ticket result here .
The issue is only reproduced on pre Pascal GPUs , which is also fixed in recent CUDA versions as of cuda_11.4.0_470.42.01_linux.run .
On GPUs after Pascal , the issue doesn’t exist on all CUDA releases . Hope this helps.