Multiple MTU in routed vlans

I’m running a pair of SX1024s as the core switch on my network.

There is a storage server capable of MTU 9000 and a few clients capable of the same MTU size, but I also have clients that are not Capable of large MTUs. I was thinking of creating a large MTU VLAN to connect the storage and large MTU capable clients and another normal MTU VLAN and routing between the VLANs to enable access to the sotrage for non large-MTU capable clients .

Is this solution going to work, what are the potential pitfalls I need to be aware of ?

Thanks

Thanks for the response,

What kind of performance hit should I expect on an SX1024 due to packet fragmentation that happens during the inter-vlan-routing ?

Hi,

After rechecking this issue, I figured out that we don’t support fragmentation on the switches, it should be done on the adapter.

packets that will arrived with larger MTU directed to smaller MTU port will be dropped.

There is a DF (don’t fragment) flag on the IP header that allow of forbid packet fragments. your problem is when running 9K packets from the Storage to some of the 1500 MTU servers.

See also:IPv4 - Wikipedia IPv4 - Wikipedia

Ophir.

I deleted the old reply to avoid confusion.

Fragmentation is not supported on the switch. So there is no issue with latency.