Nano and TX2 lack support for CIFS, mounting windows file systems

get this error

[116815.856519] CIFS VFS: CIFS mount error: iocharset utf8 not found

Just guessing, I suspect you need to enable one (or both) of these in the kernel config (meaning recompile the kernel and/or modules depending on whether modules are supported):

# CONFIG_FAT_DEFAULT_UTF8 is not set
# CONFIG_NLS_UTF8 is not set

UTF8 is commonly used, but this may also be tied into other filesystem types (meaning there may be different ways to add UTF8 support depending on filesystem).

There is a section on kernel customization in the official docs. You will probably want to save a copy of “/proc/config.gz” somewhere for future reference as a starting point whenever updating a kernel and/or modules. Also write down the result of “uname -r” which that config.gz goes with.

Is there an official place to make a request that this be added to the TX2 and nano releases?

Also a link to the official “kernel customization” would be helpful, last time I tried to build the nano it bricked my system because of the new kernel would not boot because of the secure boot.

Thanks

There will be a documentation download with each L4T/JetPack download page, plus you can go here (you have to go there, log in, and then go there again since redirect doesn’t work):
[url]https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/downloads#?search=l4t%20documentation[/url]

I can’t answer about where to request adding this, although probably someone here can. However, there are so many options for the Linux kernel it would be hard to add everything everyone wants, and typically kernel module builds are easy to deal with after you’ve done it a couple of times. Kernel edits really will be worth your time to learn even if there is some initial pain (they aren’t as bad as it sounds, and lots of people here will answer your kernel build questions).

I usually think of “bricking” as making it so the system cannot be reset and is permanently dead. This won’t happen with kernel changes on a Nano, although it could be painfully slow to reflash and get everything back the way it was. In the case of an SD card distribution you can simply make a clone of the SD card before changing the kernel, or else save the original kernel and simply put it back in place from a PC with an SD card reader. If this is the version of Nano with eMMC, then you can clone first (flashing the clone back in place would instantly revert changes, but only the separately sold Nano has eMMC…an SD card copy is simple).