NCU CLI: No root permission, meet Error: ERR_NVGPUCTRPERM

Hi! I am using ncu cli because of this problem: Cannot remote profile (Attempting to connect to ncu-ui at ...)
(Almost the same to him)
And now I am running “ncu -o profile a.out” on my school’s A100. But I meet this!!!

Error: ERR_NVGPUCTRPERM - The user does not have permission to access NVIDIA GPU Performance Counters on the target device 0. For instructions on enabling permissions and to get more information see https://developer.nvidia.com/ERR_NVGPUCTRPERM

I find out I must have sudo permission??? Well, I guess most user using remote machine do not have root previlege, and especially we students…Is it possible not to have root permission? I think this block a lot of users!

By the way, if I can not use nsight compute to connect to remote host, also can not use CLI, how can I profile my program on remote machine? Thank you!!!

(By the way, nvprof can run without root, hope future ncu cli can also…)

You can find more information in the referenced web page. Instead of obtaining root permission, you can ask the administrator of this machine to set the modprobe file with the necessary reg key, which will allow profiling for non-root users, too.

A file with the .conf extension containing 'options nvidia "NVreg_RestrictProfilingToAdminUsers=0"' may be saved to /etc/modprobe.d
1 Like

Well…personally I do not think as a student I can do that…Maybe in a company a stuff can…Anyway, thank you!

I am using school’s HPC and they told me they can not set this detection open for all users because of security reason…I have heard I can use nvidia-docker and act as root. But then I find out school’s HPC can not let me use docker, at most can provide me singularity… I guess nvidia do not have corresponding product for singularity, right? (Have not searched for anything…)
Generally, it seems nsight compute is still can not be used for HPC users…Only accessible for personal machine like my PC…

Wish this can be changed in the future~Anyway, thank you!!!