Need help with cuda run file installation, X keeps breaking after install

Hello,

I’m trying to install the Tesla K40c in a HP Proliant DL380g9. HP confirmed it’s supported. I also have an onboard graphics card.

lspci |grep VGA
01:00.1 VGA compatible controller: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd. MGA G200EH (rev 01)

When I perform a fresh clean install of ubuntu 14.04.3, X works fine. I’m installing the server and then running apt-get install ubuntu-desktop. All is fine after that( I can login via the gui) as soon as I install the driver for the tesla k40C, it breaks X. I get a login prompt but it just keeps taking me to the login prompt(The GUI is not fully loaded.) I’m also wondering why linux is reporting my Matrox card as unclaimed. when running lshw -C display , that’s before and after tesla driver install, yet X works ( I’m pretty certain UNCLAIMED means that a driver has not claimed it yet.)

# lshw -C display
  *-display
       description: 3D controller
       product: NVIDIA Corporation
       vendor: NVIDIA Corporation
       physical id: 0
       bus info: pci@0000:08:00.0
       version: a1
       width: 64 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list
       configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0
       resources: iomemory:39f0-39ef iomemory:39f0-39ef irq:16 memory:93000000-93ffffff memory:39fe0000000-39fefffffff memory:39ff0000000-39ff1ffffff
  *-display UNCLAIMED
       description: VGA compatible controller
       product: MGA G200EH
       vendor: Matrox Electronics Systems Ltd.
       physical id: 0.1
       bus info: pci@0000:01:00.1
       version: 01
       width: 32 bits
       clock: 33MHz
       capabilities: pm msi pciexpress vga_controller bus_master cap_list
       configuration: latency=0
       resources: memory:91000000-91ffffff memory:92a88000-92a8bfff memory:92000000-927fffff

I’m also a bit confused on what the difference is between the cuda__linux.run
file and the NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-346.89.run file. Ultimately , want to use the onboard for X gui and the Tesla for Computing. Can someone kindly point me in the right direction.

http://developer.download.nvidia.com/compute/cuda/7_0/Prod/doc/CUDA_Getting_Started_Linux.pdf

I’ve tried the run method and the repo method

I’m also not seeing the /dev/Nvidia* in section 4.4. Device Node Verification
I do see them after going through the installation. I’ve ran the samples so I know cudo is working but it’s breaking my Xorg server

you could:

a) study the xorg config file to see whether everything is set up correctly - from drivers to cards (driving the display) to display

b) note the xorg event log for details on potential errors

c) start the machine in lower level, and manually start x server from the command prompt
sometimes it is easier to note x startup anomalies this way