Need to clarify Linux installation method for sync remote builds when local has no gpu

I’m setting up a development environment which uses a linux remote gpu cluster at our university and a linux local machine with no nvidia gpu. This is the sync remote builds functionality as shown here,

[url]http://docs.nvidia.com/cuda/nsight-eclipse-edition-getting-started-guide/index.html#remote-development[/url]

The cuda toolkit 7.5 installation guide for linux only covers the cross platform environment (cross compile on host and run on target) setup. Since I have no need to install a cross architecture I didn’t.

My local system is Linux Mint 17.3 which maps to Ubuntu 14.04 and the remote is also Ubuntu 14.04 with cuda toolkit 7.5 installed.

The information for installing from a local deb worked fine, but of course with no nvidia gpu I got an error report to that effect when installing cuda. I ignored the error, set up the paths, and installed the samples locally (for reference).

Currently I’m working on getting the samples to compile and run on the remote with nsight.

I think it would be a great idea to have a use case for the sync remote builds setup that covers beginning to end, with compiling and running sample code on the remote.