Network and ethernet problems eth0: link is down - resulting in my app closing

AGX dev kit
jetpack 4.3
DS4

What would be the cause and is there a fix to these ethernet problems?

thanks Chris

In dmesg:

[139170.822021] eqos 2490000.ether_qos eth0: Link is Down

[139179.879498] eqos 2490000.ether_qos eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control off

[139183.931161] eqos 2490000.ether_qos eth0: Link is Down

[139186.799749] eqos 2490000.ether_qos eth0: Link is Up - 1Gbps/Full - flow control off

Syslog has a lot more errors, resulting in the closure of my app:
syslog.txt (10.0 KB)

thanks

What is DS4 mentioned here?

Does this issue happen frequently even in idle state or only happen with some specific usecase?

If this would happen in idle, please directly put device in idle, share full dmesg and full syslog that records this error.

If this would only happen with some usecase, please share what kind of usecase is that.

We don’t have any record or similar cases for such case. Need more information.

Hi Wayne

DS4 = Deepstream 4

I have not had the unit in idle, I am running a long test and my deepstream app keeps stopping and returning to the desktop with a unity-panel-ser failure

Searching for any possible reasons and this is the only thing I’ve seen in the logs so far.

Ok, I will continue to monitor and try to gather more info if it happens again

thanks Chris

I can’t contribute much on this, but wanted to point out a couple of things which might be useful. In the log:

May  1 12:30:42 jetson-00-04-4b-cc-29-a9 NetworkManager[4851]: <info>  [1619868642.9766] device (eth0): state change: unavailable -> disconnected (reason 'carrier-changed', sys-iface-state: 'managed')

If state changes to disconnected, carrier changed, then I tend to think maybe the physical interface has lost signal quality or did not respond in time. You might want to list the wiring from physical eth0 port to switch or router, etc., and consider altering this by changing what hardware the physical device connects to. An example of doing this is that if your Jetson connects directly to the router, then throw a switch in with only the Jetson on it, and then connect the switch to the router; or the reverse, if there is a switch between Jetson and router, then remove the switch temporarily and connect directly to the router. The key being that the physical wiring and signal quality should change. You might even try a different cable.

You might also mention if WiFi is in use. I say this because NetworkManager can cause wired ethernet to change as WiFi drops in or out. I doubt that’s a problem, but it is worth mentioning. Logs did not show WiFi/NetworkManager changes at the moments when wired dropped out, but it did mention NetworkManager as being associated with wired.

Thanks,

The Xavier goes into a switch, also there are 2 camera encoders and 1 router (for remote access). Thats everything.

I’m using static IPs

There is no Wifi anywhere

I’ll try going directly from Xavier to router and see if that stops it

Cheers

After a failure you might also show the results of ifconfig for that port. I’m wondering if it shows any kind of error or overrun, so on.

I understand there is an ethernet patch as mentioned here Xavier with JP4.2 hangs

Does jetpack 4.3 need this patch?

thanks chris

I couldn’t say for sure, but it is a good idea to go to a current version even if for no other reason than to test. Maybe clone your 4.2 or 4.3 content if it is valuable, and then try a newer release.

That patch is merged in jp4.3. But I still suggest you can try jp 4.5.1. Even if there is really a new issue, we all start from the latest version to debug but not jp 4.3 or jp4.2.

Thanks,

I’m going to move to to the latest jetpack and deepstream as soon as I’m able

cheers