new installation of CUDA 7 toolkit in Ubuntu 12.04. Question about missing recommended libraries...

Hi all.

A somewhat-bone headed question. (More so as I think this is a documented issue.) But all the info I’ve found on this seems to be old and dated. In my post installation summary, it was stated that 4 recommended libraries were not found. At the time I assumed I can find exactly which 4 they were in a log file and fix it later. I now regret not writing them down because different sources I’ve looked up list different library files as the ones in question. I can remember for certain one of them was libGLU.so but can’t recall the others. Does anyone know where on my post-install system I can find documented which exact library files are missing so I can put in the missing ones?

thanks.
Ren

The samples installer is the one that points out missing libraries. AFAIK it does not leave a log file lying around (but I could be wrong). Previous versions (CUDA 6.5 and prior) of the CUDA toolkit getting started guide for Linux contained some help in this area; the most recent 7.0 versions simply mentions that the samples installer will identify missing libraries.

Here is the help text from the CUDA 6.5 linux getting started guide, it may give you some ideas:

4.7. Extra Libraries

If you wish to build all the samples, including those with graphical rather than
command-line interfaces, additional system libraries or headers may be required.
While every Linux distribution is slightly different with respect to package names and
package installation procedures, the libraries and headers most likely to be necessary are
OpenGL (e.g., Mesa), GLU, GLUT, and X11 (including Xi, Xmu, and GLX).
On Ubuntu, those can be installed as follows:

$ sudo apt-get install freeglut3-dev build-essential libx11-dev libxmu-dev libxi-dev libgl1-mesa-glx libglu1-mesa libglu1-mesa-dev

You could also extract the samples installer from the runfile installer (execute the runfile installer with the --help command line switch to start down this path), run the samples installer separately, point it at a directory that you can later delete, and look at the post-install messages again.