NewB Question: Quadro 4800 on Mac...not working at all...normal?

Hi, just had this card installed on my mac (snow leopard). It doesn’t seem to have an effect at all on my AE renders, they’re rendering out at the same rate as always.

Is there a setting in AE or in my system that I should be considering? Thanks for your help…

After Effects does not utilize the GPU for rendering - only for OpenGL previews if you turn them on. SOME plugins can utilize the GPU for rendering, but generally speaking, RAM and CPU are what helps you in AE, not GPU.

After Effects does not utilize the GPU for rendering - only for OpenGL previews if you turn them on. SOME plugins can utilize the GPU for rendering, but generally speaking, RAM and CPU are what helps you in AE, not GPU.

Thank you Scottie, appreciate your feedback.

In that case, I’m looking at videos like the two on this page…and getting the wrong idea in that case (implies that the GPU is responsible for shockingly faster previews)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_AftereffectsCS5.html

I’m thinking it’s misleading…NVidia?

Thank you Scottie, appreciate your feedback.

In that case, I’m looking at videos like the two on this page…and getting the wrong idea in that case (implies that the GPU is responsible for shockingly faster previews)

http://www.nvidia.com/object/adobe_AftereffectsCS5.html

I’m thinking it’s misleading…NVidia?

Well, it does say “with GPU-accelerated effects” so it isn’t technically lying… heh… there ARE plugins that are GPU accelerated, more and more all the time. But for the core AE app itself, as of right now, only OpenGL is GPU accelerated, and IMO openGL is really quite limited in its usefulness as far as AE goes.

Well, it does say “with GPU-accelerated effects” so it isn’t technically lying… heh… there ARE plugins that are GPU accelerated, more and more all the time. But for the core AE app itself, as of right now, only OpenGL is GPU accelerated, and IMO openGL is really quite limited in its usefulness as far as AE goes.