No access to PGI help in VS 2008

Hi

I recently upgraded to Visual studio 2008 pro SP 1 and PVF 9 from VS 2005 and PVF 8. On my new installation “PGI visual fortran” does not appear in the VS 2008 help system (ie. there are no items in the “filtered by” dialog).

I also installed PVF 9 with the VS 2008 shell on my laptop for use on the road and here it works just fine … How do I get the help working?

Regards,

Casper Kirkegaard

Casper,

This isn’t a problem I’ve seen before so it may take a couple of iterations to figure out what is going on. What happens when you invoke the Microsoft help explorer from a Command Prompt (adjust the path as needed if you are running x64)?

CMD> “C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Help 9\dexplore.exe”

Do you see “Help on Help” in the Contents pane?

– Annemarie

Hi Annemarie

When i invoke the command line I get the following error message:

“Microsoft document explorer cannot be shown because no valid help collection has been specified. If microsoft document explorer was launched by another application or via the start menu, this may indicate a problem with installation, and you may be able to fix the problem by repairing the installation”

I already reinstalled PVF by upgrading from 9.03 to 9.04 …

Regards,

Casper

Hi Casper,

First, try this command which does specify a help collection:

“C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Help 9\dexplore.exe” /helpcol ms-help://ms.vscc.v90 /LaunchNamedUrlTopic DefaultPage

Second, upgrading from 9.0-3 to 9.0-4 would upgrade the documentation package but it wouldn’t upgrade the dexplore installation because that’s part of the VS 2008 IDE, which is the framework onto which PVF installs. Do you know if you received the VS 2008 Shell from PGI? Or did you buy VS 2008 (VC++, C#, etc.) from Microsoft?

Annemarie

Hi Annemarie

Running that command line gives the following error message:
“Microsoft Document Explorer cannot be shown because the specified help collection ‘ms-help://ms.vscc.v90’ is invalid”

Where is this help collection supposed to be located? Perhaps I just need to add a system path or something …

Casper

PS: I use the full microsoft vs 2008.

Hi Casper,

The invalid help collection is from Microsoft. It sounds like there is something wrong with the VS 2008 installation.

Look in your Add/Remove Programs dialog. Do you see Microsoft Document Explorer 2008? You might first try uninstalling that then doing a repair of VS 2008. Or, you could uninstall that and VS 2008 itself and reinstall VS 2008.

Before doing any of this, uninstall PVF. Before reinstalling PVF, check that the document explorer is working with the commands I provided earlier.

Let me know how this works out.

Annemarie