No compile error when calling device-only method from templated class on host, using nvcc

When I compile the following code with nvcc, I would expect to get a compile error because Functor::print() is only defined on the device but it’s called from a host function hostExecutefunctor(F f). However, the compiler finishes without a single warning. When I run the compiled program, it fails silently when executing f.print() This means my program only prints the line “About to execute the functor”.

#include <stdio.h>

struct Functor
{
  __device__ void print()
  {
    printf("Printing\n");
  }
};

template <class F>
void hostExecuteFunctor(F f)
{
  printf("About to execute the functor\n");
  f.print();
}

int main()
{
  Functor f;
  hostExecuteFunctor(f);
  printf("Successfully finished the program.\n");
  return 0;
}

The problem could be solved by specifying the functor method as __host__ __device__, but I rather stay minimalistic so it’s clear which methods will never run on CPU.
However, we have a lot of these functors in our code and a mistake is quickly made. Is there a way to get a compile error when the situation specified above occurs?

PS: I noticed that the other way around, calling a host function from a device function, the compiler does give an error. See the example below.

#include <stdio.h>

struct Functor
{
  void print()
  {
    printf("Printing\n");
  }
};

template <class F>
__global__ void kernelExecuteFunctor(F f)
{
  printf("About to execute the functor\n");
  f.print();
}

int main()
{
  Functor f;
  kernelExecuteFunctor<<<1, 1>>>(f);
  cudaDeviceSynchronize();
  printf("Successfully finished the program.\n");
  return 0;
}

Compile error:

silent_error_cpu.cu(16): error: calling a __host__ function("Functor::print") from a __global__ function("kernelExecuteFunctor<    ::Functor> ") is not allowed

My setup:
Operating system: Ubuntu 20.04
CUDA toolkit installed via ubuntu package ‘nvidia-cuda-toolkit’. Version : 10.1.243-3
NVIDIA driver version: 440.100