No console output or splash screen whilst booting Oriin, booting is okay though

Hi,

When I first bought my Jetson Orin I thought I remembered seeing a splash screen and boot progress on the connected 4K displayport monitor. However, now, even after flashing Jetpack 5.0.2 it boots fine to the graphical login but does not display boot progress or a splash screen.

Is this normal? And if so can the boot progress (plus non-graphical login) be made to appear by altering extlinux.cfg somehow ?

Kim

1 Like

hello kimv9rqv,

is it possible to change a display monitor for confirmation.
could you please see-also developer guide, Orin specific Display Configuration,
thanks

I only have one display port monitor. Are there adapters from display port to HDMI and if so which would you recommend ?

I’ll check out that guide, thanks.

Kim

There are an awful lot of parameters that are referred to in that page. No idea how I’d choose what are sensible to change.

The monitor is a SAMSUNG F32TU870VU . Quite a capable model I understand.

I do see now in this page that NVIDIA G-Sync is not supported, if that’s relevant.

This display once it’s in graphical mode is beautiful. Really nice, it’s just the the booting phase that it’s not working.

Kim

hello kimv9rqv,

did you meant the boot logo?
please refer to UEFI chapter for the Customized Logo. thanks

No, more than that. You don’t see that, but you also do not see the boot progress scrolling by. But it has more impact than that, you then cannot login without a graphical logic because you cannot see the login prompt.

Kim

hello KimHendrikse,

I’m still kind of confused what’s your issue.
did you setup a serial console to monitor the bootloader logs? or, you have display monitor connected but see nothing?
is it possible to share a short video clip to describe what you said. thanks

I could share a video but it would be a video of a blank screen.

Let’s describe it another way. If I were to disable the graphical login by running

sudo systemctl set-default multi-user.target

Then the computer would be with nothing visible on the screen. You would be able to login to the computer via ssh but you could not use the keyboard/monitor combination to login to a character based login screen but there isn’t one, just a blank screen.

Kim

The computer would boot to a running system I meant to say. But not with a non-graphical login present on the screen as it should.

Likely the next would have to be setting up a connection to the special console to look for error messages I guess.

Kim

I’ve ordered an adapter from display port to hdmi to see if the problem is still present then. It’ll be a while before it arrives though.

it’s not a critical problem now, but I was curious if others also had this problem.

Kim

hello KimHendrikse,

FYI, we’re able to reproduce the issue locally.
it’s now under investigation, thanks

Super! Thanks

Kim

FYI, Orin does not support framebuffer console,
please see-also Running without display manager - #4 by WayneWWW.
thanks

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.