No textures visible within Resource View

Hi,

After capturing a frame the Resource View does not show texture views. All textures say “unsupported texture”, despite being RGBA8 format. No textures are shown at all, neither Textures nor Framebuffers.

One error message I noticed (might be unrelated): libprotobuf ERROR …/…/…/…/Imports/Source/ProtoBuf/protobuf-2_4_1/src/google/protobuf/message_lite.cc:123] Can’t parse message of type “Nvda.Messaging.Graphics.FrameDebugger.PbThumbnailReply” because it is missing required fields: Thumbnail

I am using a GTX970 on an OpenSuse 13.2 System.

Regards and thanks for any help
Andy

Hi,

What’s your driver? Can you try to run in root? Do you run the Linux Graphics Debugger in front of your real monitor, but not using some zero-client software to do remote desktop to your linux? If you want to remote access your linux, please try VNC-like software.

Thanks
An

Hi,

driver version is 352.21 and I am running the debugger locally. I will update the driver on Monday and try running the debugger as root, as I am out of the office for today.

Thanks so far,
Andy

Hi,

despite installing up to date drivers and running the debugger as root there are still no textures / framebuffers showing.

Regards
Andy

Hi,

For the root, I mean not only run as root, but also on the connection dialog of Linux Graphic Debug, you also use root to connect to target.

What about your sample? Is it 32bit app and you happen to miss install the driver’s 32bit lib, just guessing. Maybe you can share your sample with us, since it’s really weird to see such ‘unsupported texture’ or ‘libprotobuff Error’.

Thanks
An

Hi,

yes I ran everything as root: debugger, connection as root and the application itself as well. I also tried starting the application from within the debugger and by using LD_PRELOAD. It is a 64-bit application.

Sadly I can not share any code or binaries, at least not on a public forum and not without an NDA.

Is there anything else I can try?

Regards
Andy

Hi,

Ok, maybe you can try to use some other public sample: https://github.com/NVIDIAGameWorks/OpenGLSamples

At least it works on my side. If it’s not on your side, then the reason might be your OS. Otherwise, we can speculate your sample.

Thanks
An

Hi,

the Samples do work within the debugger and I can see the resource views when grabbing a frame. So it looks like it’s our application and I am currently talking to some people here on how to get our application to you.

Regards,
Andy

Hi AndreasMueller,

If you don’t want to share the link in public forum, you can send to this email: devtools-support{#}nvidia{#}com.

Thanks
An

Hi,

over the course of the weekend I quickly hacked a glfw frontend to our renderer. And it works with the debugger, so it looks like Qt (we need to use Qt) is the problem.
Maybe Qt is doing something different to the GL context?

I put together a small sample application here: Free large file hosting. Send big files the easy way!

It uses Qt5 and glew for extension loading and just clears the screen, not showing in the debugger.

Thanks
Andy

Hi,

We can reproduce the issue locally, we’re researching the issue.

Thanks,
Letitia

Hi,

is there any update on that problem?

Regards
Andi

Hi Andreas,

We already got your issue in the forum and our internal system. Will let you know any news as soon as I got it.

Thanks
An

Hi Guys,

We just started using the tool today and we do probably see the same symptom with no textures or buffers shown at all, only an “unsupported texture” thumb.

We use have a 64-bit application on CentOS 6.7 using QT 5.4 with both GTX and Quadro Cards showing the same symptom.

Regards,
Knut

/edit we are using 352.55 driver if I remember correctly

/edit2 This is the log message we get: libprotobuf ERROR …/…/…/…/Imports/Source/ProtoBuf/protobuf-2_4_1/src/google/protobuf/message_lite.cc:123] Can’t parse message of type “Nvda.Messaging.Graphics.FrameDebugger.PbThumbnailReply” because it is missing required fields: Thumbnail

Hi AYan,

Is there any progress on this matter, or any known workaround?
Is this a Qt problem?

Thanks,
Valentin

AYan

Is there anything that we can make to help with fixing this issue?

We are making an OS for embedded platforms with Qt as the underneath display layer, and there are several Linux Graphics Debugger issues, inlcuding this texture/render target display bug (the others being the profiler not working at all, with a message “Error initializing experiment”, shader editing not functional, resources view not working with any object type, not images nor buffers objects)

Most probably all of these issues are related to the same code path bug.

As hot editing shaders, profile statistics and in memory resource views are of extreme importance to improving the sytem performance, we need all of the functionality of the Nvidia Linux Debugger.

We can debug anything on either side, being it on Qt or in linux kernel our whatever is needed, or implement a reproducible test case or whatever you guys need to improve the Linux Debugger tools

Hi guys,

Since LGD 2.0 is available, please try with the latest release to see if this issue still exists.
Thanks.

Hi folks,

same here: no textures :(
Further the shader editor hangs after pressing “compile” reports “Compile error: internal error.”

LGD: 2.3 (same with older driver and LGD 2.0, 2.1, 2.2)
Driver: NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-390.25.run
GraKa: GeForce GTX 1050 Ti

Our app uses Qt (tested with 5.6.3, 5.8.0)

Is there any progress on this issue?!

UPDATE: disabling the GL context sharing seems to heal these problems – can LGD not work with shared contexts or is the shared context setup somehow broken (although the app is working as expected)?!

Hi alexej.fink,

GL context sharing is supported by LGD.
Can you share your sample application with us for further investigation? You can send me a private message with the link from any cloud sharing you like.

Thanks.

This will hardly be possible.
Unfortunately our Qt setup is complicated and maybe somehow on the edge of being valid (or even beyound – distributed over several *.so libs). But it works (and yes, it is in the queue for refactoring ;) ).

Regarding the GL context sharing is not much more than:

• QCoreApplication::setAttribute( Qt::AA_ShareOpenGLContexts);
    … // create
  • m_context = new QOpenGLContext();
  • QOpenGLContext* gshared = QOpenGLContext::globalShareContext();
  • m_context->setShareContext(gshared);
    … // init
  • m_context->setFormat(requestedFormat);
  • m_context->create()
    … // draw
  • if (!m_needsInitialize && m_context && m_QWindow && m_QWindow->isExposed())
  • { … if (m_context->makeCurrent(m_QWindow)) { /render stuff/ m_context->doneCurrent(); } … }

Anyway, it would be cool, if LGD could validate active GL contexts and report detected problems with those instead of just failing on resource fetching. If it is possible of course (I have no idea how complicated the GL contexts are wired inside the driver – but the driver shall be aware of every existing context, so it seems to be possible, at least for nVidia).

btw.
if the GL context sharing is enabled, it is raining these messages on the console:
“[libprotobuf ERROR …/…/…/…/Imports/Source/ProtoBuf/protobuf-3_4_1/src/google/protobuf/message_lite.cc:121] Can’t parse message of type “Nvda.Messaging.Graphics.FrameDebugger.PbThumbnailReply” because it is missing required fields: Thumbnail”