No USB support on custom base/carrier board

dtc by default takes a human readable dts and turns it into a dtb binary. Run without options, it may be trying to parse the binary file as a text file. Adding -I dtb like this:

dts -I dtb tegra186-quill-p3310-1000-a00-00-dsi-hdmi-dp.dtb

tells it that the input file is a dtb binary. This command

dtc -I dtb -O dts tegra186-quill-p3310-1000-a00-00-dsi-hdmi-dp.dtb

says the input file is a dtb binary and output should be a a human-readable dts. Does that help?

I ran the commands above on the host x86 machine I installed jetpack on to see what was changed. I didn’t run dtc on the TX2 itself. I’d try it now but I’m done for the day and its all in pieces :)

http://manpages.ubuntu.com/manpages/xenial/man1/dtc.1.html

dtc doesn’t work at Jetson, do not know why.

We should ask Nvidia guys for they help get USB.3.0 functioning.
Shouldn’t we?

Are there any chances to get USB 3.0 to work at a custom board with or after applying of the power-tree patch?

The dtc installed on the jetson by default in /usr/src/linux-headers-4.4.15-tegra/scripts/dtc/dtc is an x86 executable, likely just copied over from the host:

file dtc
dtc: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64…

It needs to be rebuilt for the TX2 (ARM aarch64).

I never tried USB 3.0 on the development board, I switched right to the carrier. I’d rather find any errors or limitations sooner than later. So I don’t know if the USB 3.0 issue is carrier specific.

I also found that to get one of my USB devices working, I’m missing the cdc-acm serial port USB module which is required by one of the USB devices I’m using. So I’ll need to do a kernel/module rebuild and find that option to get it so I can use that usb device.

Keyboard and mouse (both with the usbhid driver) and and two different hubs, the Amazon Basic USB 3.0 hub and the Anker USB 3.0 hub (both with the hub driver) seem to work OK with it so far. I have 3 more devices that pull some milliamps to connect so I’m using a powered hub.

For USB or pcie to work on custom carrier board, please follow the steps in this link

https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1001443/jetson-tx2/extlinux-conf-fdt-no-longer-used-for-dtb-file-specification-/post/5130849/#5130849

@bbsau
Thank you for your reply. But will the steps result in USB 3.0 speed enable?
I request more detailed steps on the matter than
“Please replace Linux_for_Tegra\bootloader\t186ref\BCT\tegra186-mb1-bct-pmic-quill-p3310-1000-c03.cfg in”
As I understand they suggest to replace cfg file in the driver package. Right?
But how to merge the driver package [which is downloaded standalone] with the Installed Jetson OS?

Regards

Linux_for_Tegra\ is the place from where you flash the board.
This file is not part of kernel source.
I hope I have understood your question correctly.
Please try with this change and share the complete boot log

Thank you.
It seems that I should get to Ubuntu Host OS and locate the Linux_for_Tegra and than do changes and that do perform flash OS installation.
I shall get to Host OS and implement changes and flash the Jetson and provide back a report to you.

We tried replacement of the cfg file, also we applied the power-tre modification patch and the resulting dmesg which we got after reflashing jetson via Jetpack is attached:
Save_dmseg3.txt.tar.gz (18.5 KB)

save_dmesg2 (2).txt.tar.gz (19.7 KB)

seems resolved: https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1005599/jetson-tx2/how-to-get-usb-3-0-to-function-at-a-custom-connecttech-orbity-carrier-board-at-5gb-s-speed-for-zed-camera-/

“TLDR” (no offense)
After having the same problem, I confirm this is the laziest and fastest way to enable the USB port on your connecttech-orbity (tested on a Jetson TX2)

How to regenerate the DTB and flash with the correct DTB.

This thread is for a custom carrier board, so it won’t apply to you. You also have a duplicate here:
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1035287/jetson-tx2/how-do-i-generate-a-new-dtb-file-/post/5259188/#5259188[/url]
…answers at the alternate thread…

Hi,sir.
The problem I encountered should be exactly the same as the poster. But I followed the method you post to solve it, without success. I tried to change the device tree (according to your opinion), and then update the kernel via
sudo ./flash.sh -r -k kernel-dtb jetson-tx2i mmcblk0p1
but it did not solve this problem. I need your help.
Thank you.

sorry its a long thread, what exactly is the problem you are facing? And what you tried?