Not getting DX events from CLI

I am able to profile a game on win10 by remotely connecting via ssh from another win 10 machine. I get dx events and see the Frame Duration track with Frame Health, Stutter, etc.

However if I initiate the profile via command line locally I do not get dx events and do not see the Frame Duration track.

This is with 2021.1.1.

Possibly related: when I load the successful report, under Analysis Summary → Analysis Options → Include child processes is “On”.

In the unsuccessful report this option is “Off”. I do not know how this option is set.
(Though I have tried hacking config files, command lines, etc.)

Frustrating, too, is that the docs list --trace-fork-before-exec as a command line option, but nsys.exe doesn’t recognize it.

Thanks for any advice!

This is a bug. The CLI should be tracing child processes by default and it is not. I have filed a bug in our internal tracking system and assigned one of my engineers to it.

I should also apologize because the documentation for --trace-fork-before-exec should have indicated that it was available only for Linux targets. I wrote that documentation, and I will get it fixed (filed a bug on myself).

In the meantime, you can also run the gui on “localhost” on your target system.

Hi @rosetter, does your game application uses DX12 in child processes? Could you share the reports when it’s successful and not? Thanks