Notebook GPU that supports openCL

Hi,

I planning to buy a laptop with graphics card. Which is the cheapest notebook graphics card that supports openCL?

Thanks.

There are many, and while I don’t know if its the cheapest, its done a great job for me for simple development purposes. Testing and benchmarking I do on a different machine. I use a 9500M GS, but then again, my laptop is over 2 years old. I’m sure you’ll be able to get something good and new for cheap. Don’t fret it.

There are many, and while I don’t know if its the cheapest, its done a great job for me for simple development purposes. Testing and benchmarking I do on a different machine. I use a 9500M GS, but then again, my laptop is over 2 years old. I’m sure you’ll be able to get something good and new for cheap. Don’t fret it.

r00ki,

For what it’s worth, I picked up a netbook with an NVIDIA ION GPU (for about $500 a year ago, maybe less now). It supports CUDA and OpenCL.

r00ki,

For what it’s worth, I picked up a netbook with an NVIDIA ION GPU (for about $500 a year ago, maybe less now). It supports CUDA and OpenCL.

Thanks for the reply.

More specifically, I am looking for a graphics card that is very power efficient. One that doesnt drain the battery.

Thanks for the reply.

More specifically, I am looking for a graphics card that is very power efficient. One that doesnt drain the battery.

r00ki,

The ION is the most power efficient notebook/netbook GPU available from NVIDIA that supports OpenCL (CUDA also).  That said, you will have to expect a performance hit for the power savings.  This was not important to me, so the ION was the best fit.  My netbook, that has an ION GPU, is an ASUS 1201n.  I did not do extensive testing, but if I remember correctly, the ION was about 15x-20x slower than a GTX8800, for my algorithms at least (just to give you a rough performance comparison).

r00ki,

The ION is the most power efficient notebook/netbook GPU available from NVIDIA that supports OpenCL (CUDA also).  That said, you will have to expect a performance hit for the power savings.  This was not important to me, so the ION was the best fit.  My netbook, that has an ION GPU, is an ASUS 1201n.  I did not do extensive testing, but if I remember correctly, the ION was about 15x-20x slower than a GTX8800, for my algorithms at least (just to give you a rough performance comparison).

I have Asus eeePC 1201N with NVIDIA ION. It is 9400M so it supports OpenCL 1.0 and CUDA CC 1.1. It has Atom 330, it has 2 cores with hyperthreading and is seen as 4 CPUs. I have installed 64-bit Debian; battery lasts for about 4h.

If you can wait, look for mobile Fermi GPUs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3887/nvidia-…1-top-to-bottom which should be available soon.

I have Asus eeePC 1201N with NVIDIA ION. It is 9400M so it supports OpenCL 1.0 and CUDA CC 1.1. It has Atom 330, it has 2 cores with hyperthreading and is seen as 4 CPUs. I have installed 64-bit Debian; battery lasts for about 4h.

If you can wait, look for mobile Fermi GPUs: http://www.anandtech.com/show/3887/nvidia-…1-top-to-bottom which should be available soon.

Thanks guys.

I recently heard about passively cooled GPUs. Has anyone used them for trying out openCL?

Thanks guys.

I recently heard about passively cooled GPUs. Has anyone used them for trying out openCL?

9500 from Palit is passively cooled. It works - what else can I say?

But this is not notebook GPU - it has rather large radiator and requires empty space to have airflow.

9500 from Palit is passively cooled. It works - what else can I say?

But this is not notebook GPU - it has rather large radiator and requires empty space to have airflow.