NSight 5.2 RC OpenGL performance overhead

Hi,

I have been using 5.1 with success to measure and profile performance. I gave 5.2 RC a shot, really liked the new GUI and there seem to be a huge increase in the GUI responsiveness so I am happy with those bits.

But it seem to incur a large overhead in performance - rendering it useless for me at the moment.

Our renderer uses OpenGL 4.3 core profile, I tested on a quadro k5000 on windows 10.

Just firing up our application should give solid 60 fps (vsynced), and does without NSight, with NSight 5.1… but NSight 5.2 RC gave me 45 fps.

Is this a known issue?

Hi ulassi,

That’s interesting, do you change the driver during compare the performance between 5.1 and 5.2 RC?

Thanks
An

On RC2 I ran (368.86-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe). On 5.1 I switched to 364.72-quadro-grid-desktop-notebook-win10-64bit-international-whql.exe since 5.1 complains on 368.86 when doing a frame capture (unsupported api functions used, glEnable etc).

I am not 100% that the perf was due to the driver actually, but in my memory I tried running with both drivers on 5.1 with the same performance.

Hi ulassi,

unsupported api which happens on 5.1/368.86 is expected. It’s hard to say why before we do some investigation, since performance issue is always case by case.

Could you share us your sample which bring the performance difference to you?

Thanks
An