Nsight Graphics Access Violation

Hi NV Team,

we are extensivly using Nsight Graphics (actually 2020.4) in our company. A while ago we notified certain crashes when we debug our dx11 based engine. We tracked down the error to a NvAPI_D3D11_MultiDrawInstancedIndirect call which causes an access violation. When we run the application not with NSight attached, things working fine. In both cases D3D debug layer is silent.

If we replace the NvAPI_D3D11_MultiDrawInstancedIndirect with a DrawInstancedIndirect in a for loop. Nsight Graphics is alo running fine.

Are thre any known issues subjecting NSight and NVAPI?

Best,
René

Please find the Crashdump attached Dx11App.zip (29.8 KB)

Hello,

Thanks for using Nsight Graphics and your question. I’ll discuss with the engineering team and get back to you on your question.
Regards,

Hello,
I discussed with the engineering team and we believe this issue is fixed in our next release.
Regards,

1 Like

Hi,
Sounds great. So we don’t need to look for the issue on our side ( misusing of certian Api calls) anymore. Right?

Thanks,
René

Hello,
At this time that is correct. Once the next release comes out then you can let us know if you still observe issues.
Regards,

Hi,
I just want to get back to you with feedback of my tests with the new 2020.5 version + 456.38 driver. We didn’t get the crash I’ve uploaded anymore. Instead we experience now a DXGI_ERROR_DEVICE_HUNG ( process at fault ), when using NvAPI_D3D11_MultiDrawInstancedIndirect. By replacing it with the for-looped D3D11 DrawInstancedIndirect() calls. The problem is gone.

Cheers,
René

Hi René,

Do you get this error before capturing the frame or only when capturing the frame?

Hi,
The error encounters before capturing. Frankly it is not possible to capture because the error leads to a device rejection in every case.
Cheers,
René

Hello,
I’ll follow-up with you on a private message to see if we can gather a reproducible.
Darrell