Based on my brief testing here, I think Nsight Graphics 2019.3.0 has some GPU-specific problems with accessing the performance counters.
- With a GTX 1080Ti installed, Nsight Graphics can access the Performance Counters with no problems, and Range Profiling works well.
- If I swap in a RTX 2080 non-Ti (nothing else changed), then Nsight Graphics cannot access the Performance Counters, giving me the usual permissions error.
- When I swapped the GTX 1080Ti back in, Nsight Graphics could access the Performance Counters again.
Since I’ve been doing GPU profiling lately, you can guess which GPU I have installed.
My setup here:
- GPU: GTX 1080Ti / RTX 2080 non-Ti
- NV Driver: 430.86
- Nsight Graphics: v2019.3.0.0 (Build 26379168)
- OS: Win 7 SP1
And the GPU Performance Counters access method used:
NV Settings -> Developer -> Manage GPU Performance Counters -> Allow access to the GPU peformance counters to all users