Nsight Monitor crash on 5.5

I’ve got the exact same problem on many graphic cards on many windows 10 versions.
I’m using version 5.3 instead for a long time.
Any chance to open the code so we could fix it ?

Hi guys,

We still cannot reproduce this issue.
Can you guys try Nsight Graphics? It’s a standalone tool similar to Nsight VS edition.
https://developer.nvidia.com/nsight-graphics

Thanks

Hi, according to your reply in this post: Cannot set breakpoint in Nsight for Visual Studio for a simple OpenGL program - Nsight Visual Studio Edition - NVIDIA Developer Forums, I purchased a Quadro K600 which is Kepler core. But it only causes more problems, including the crash mentioned in this post. I have created a new thread: The whole Windows system is dead when starting CUDA debugging - Nsight Visual Studio Edition - NVIDIA Developer Forums in which an msinfo file is included which should contain complete info for you to reproduce the crash. PS: How is letitia doing? I hope she was not fired. PS2: Nsight Graphics seems not contain CUDA debugging and Shader debugging, only Frame Capture, so I didn’t try it. But I will do whatever trials you think worthwhile. I can even deliver my desktop to you until nVidia softwares like CUDA or Nsight finally works (you must so eager to know what on earth your user’s computer looks like, I guess :-)).

Hi hzhou3,

The issues discussed in this thread are all about Monitor crash on Graphics debugging. That’s why I suggested Nsight Graphics.
You CUDA debugging issue will be discussed in the thread you just created.

Thanks.

In addition to CUDA Debugging, the system also crashes if I use Graphics debugging of Nsight 5.5 or 5.6 on Quadro K600 which is Kepler core. That’s why I said “But it only causes more problems” in my last reply. Thanks.

Hi hzhou3,

Please provide more information about the crash:

• OS
  • Driver
  • Nsight 5.6 not released yet, did you mean 5.4 and 5.5?
  • Does the crash only happen on your application?
  • Detailed steps of reproduce the crash

Thanks.

Thank you very much for asking and sorry for the late reply. To ensure the info is still valid and accurate, I reproduced the crash which took me quite a while. A copy of msinfo file is downloadable here: Dropbox - File Deleted. I was taught to use this method by one of your colleagues. I believe it should contain a complete config info of my system to reproduce the crash. The following are for your specific queries:

• OS
    Windows 10 Education version 1803, build 17134.48, 64bit.

• Driver

• About Nsight 5.6
    Nsight 5.6 is shipped with CUDA 9.2. After I installed CUDA 9.2, it is installed automatically for all Visual Studio instances found in the system. Please see the screenshots below:

But I tested both 5.5 and 5.6, as I said, both of them crash in Shader Debugging on both VS 2015 and 2017, as well as in CUDA debugging in VS2015 (CUDA 9.2 doesn’t work with VS2017 at all).

• Does the crash only happen on your application?
    If you remember, my only desire is to use Shader Debugging to set breakpoints and run GLSL step by step because I believe it is the best way to study GLSL programming. But this simple desire cannot be satisfied, despite the fact that Shader Debugging is one of important functions of Nsight and I suppose I am fully eligible and rightful to use it. To solve this issue, things are getting more and more complicated subsequently, so I only see the crash when setting breakpoints in Shader Debugging, no chance to see others.

• Detailed steps of reproduce the crash
    It all dates back to my post https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1031198/nsight-visual-studio-edition/cannot-set-breakpoint-in-nsight-for-visual-studio-for-a-simple-opengl-program/. You told me that only Kepler card works with Shader Debugging, so I sold out my 1050Ti and purchased a Quadro K600 which is Kepler. Since GeForce and Quadro seems to use different drivers, I use DDU v17.0.8.6 to remove the driver for 1050Ti, and then installed the driver for Quadro K600 downloaded from nVidia drivers webpage. Then I discovered that CUDA 9.2 is released so I installed it, which installed a new driver and, surprisingly, Nsight 5.6. Then crashes took place when I tried to run CUDA Debudding and Shader Debugging of both Nsight 5.5 and 5.6.

To reproduce the crash, open the first OpenGL source of the Red Book: “OpenGL Programming Guide: The Official Guide to Learning OpenGL, Version 4.5 with SPIR-V (9th Edition)” by John Kessenich and Graham Sellers. I made some minor modifications to it (add glm calls, say) but the main part is the same. Build it and run it and close it. Next, click menu Nsight → Start Graphics Debugging, the program runs again, click menu Nsight → Pause and Capture Frame (5.6 changes the name of this menuitem to something like Render Analysis or Frame Analysis, I don’t remember, but the position is the same), move the frame pointer to somewhere in the middle, say, glDrawArray():

I’m not sure if this step is necessary but it doesn’t hurt to scrub the pointer around a little bit. Because my humble desire is to set a breakpoint in GLSL code so that I can debug it step by step, I then open the Shaders tab, click the link to the shader source to open a temporary file, click the gutter to try to set a breakpoint, just following exactly the steps given in the documentation of Shader Debugging, and, BOOM! the whole system crashes … you have to press the reset button to restore the machine. I’m not sure it is Nsight Monitor or some other component of Windows 10 that crashes, but it is certain something is wrong with Nsight, a bug waiting to be identified. Nsight 5.3 does not crash when setting breakpoints in GLSL though the breakpoints do not take effects. I am not ready to test the Shader Debugging under remote debugging mode because I am waiting for my second Kepler graphics card – GeForce GTX 780 Ti. Nsight doesn’t work for the Pascal core perhaps because it is too modern, or for K600 perhaps because it is too old, so I hope GTX 780 Ti could work because it is in the middle. If not, the only card left I can try is Tesla K80, which is something I cannot afford. Hope the bugs in Nsight can be fixed before I could earn enough money to place an order for K80.

OK, that’s all to reproduce the crash of Nsight 5.5 and 5.6 when using Shader Debugging. If you need anything else like the source file, please let me know. If you really couldn’t reproduce the crash, I can deliver my desktop to you, or make a system backup and deliver the hard drive to you, or you can connect to my desktop through Windows Remote Desktop or TightVNC or TeamViewer whatever. I can give up my privacy as long as you can fix the Shader Debugging. It’s so frustrating to see that it’s so hard to use Shader Debugging and little is progressed after so many trials.

Thank you again for your effort to fix Nsight.

For the crash on my machine, I think this is because Quadro K600 gpu is hung up when a breakpoint is hit. The software preemption does not work on K600. When I replaced the graphics card with GeForce GTX 780 Ti, everything is good. Maybe the Quadro K600 is too old so Nsight discontinued software preemption support on this card.