nsight not present in deb packages for Ubuntu 16.04

Hello! I installed the cuda toolkit and drivers using the network deb package from this link: CUDA Toolkit 11.7 Update 1 Downloads | NVIDIA Developer
I followed the instructions and was able to install the drivers, compiler, debugger etc… The nsight binary is missing however even though the nsight package is installed. Only minimal doc is contained in the package and the binary doesn’t seem to be in the nvidia repository at all.

root@MacPro:~# which nsight
root@MacPro:~# dpkg -l | grep nsight
ii cuda-nsight-9-1 9.1.85-1 amd64 CUDA nsight
root@MacPro:~# dpkg -L cuda-nsight-9-1
/.
/usr
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/cuda-nsight-9-1
/usr/share/doc/cuda-nsight-9-1/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/cuda-nsight-9-1/copyright
root@MacPro:~# apt-file search /usr/bin/nsight
nvidia-nsight: /usr/bin/nsight

OK I found it. It’s in /usr/local/cuda-9.1/bin/nsight. There is still something wrong with the installation since “apt-file search /usr/local/cuda-9.1/bin/nsight” comes back empty. Where does this file come from? Is it downloaded in a script? I was expecting the deb installation to be a proper deb installation that wasn’t going to leave unchecked files all over my system.

The reason

which nsight

isn’t working is because you haven’t followed the install instructions correctly.

Please re-read the entire linux install guide, and note the point where you are supposed to modify PATH and LD_LIBRARY_PATH variables. Failure to do this means you have an incorrect install, and various things won’t work properly.

And yes, the network deb package is not the same as the local deb package. The network deb package downloads lots of stuff across the network, so that the downloadable deb package can be smaller. That is the reason it has “network” in the name. If you want a package that has nearly everything and downloads very little across the network, choose the local deb installer, or the runfile installer.

Hello txbob, thanks for your answer.

I was expecting the network deb package to download lots of stuff across the network. I was just expecting it to download deb packages since it’s an apt-get installation. It did download some extra deb packages, but it also downloaded some files that are not in deb packages. It’s a weird hybrid installation.

Are you telling me that the local deb package behaves differently? I suspect that it’s the same install, with some stuff pre-downloaded.