NV12 to RGBA at 4K Too Slow(Why do you use the CPU and Not the GPU for this Conversion?)

Hi Folks,

Been struggling with momentary pause with 4K video when using the nvivifilter and my custom library for video playback using gstreamer(fps doesn’t matter, h264 or H265 content type doesn’t matter). The CPU usage is very high in this test case 120% versus when 10-15% without the conversion(i.e no nvivafilter in pipeline). When I use nvivafilter plugin I get 120% CPU usage(the custom library was written do nothing to confirm my suspicion the issue is the NV12 to RGBA conversion). The cause from my testing is the NV12 to RGBA conversion that takes place is using the CPU and not the GPU. Why is the CPU being used and not the GPU? Is there a GPU version of the nvivafilter plugin I can use or some GPU based NV12 to RGBA conversion plugin? None of the plugins indicate if they are CPU or GPU based. Thanks in advance for any assistance you can provide.

Tom

Hi,
We have fixed the high CPU loading in r32.3. Please wait for next release. Thanks.

Hi Dane,

When will the release be available? We have demos scheduled first week of February.
We also have a TX2 we could use, does it have the same issue? Thanks.

Tom

Hi Dane,

If there is a patch available to fix this issue I would like to try using it. Thanks.

Tom

Hi,
L4T R32.3.1 is out of oven. Please give it a try.
https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/linux-tegra-archive

Hi Dane,

Downloading now. Will work with this Wednesday. Thanks for letting me know the release had come out.

Tom

Hi Dane,

CPU usage is now down to an average of 20% with the new L4T release.
The momentary pause during 4k video playback is gone. Thanks!

Tom