NVC++-W-0277-Cannot inline function <mangled name> - data type mismatch

Hello,

One of our projects produces a lot of warnings along the lines of

NVC++-W-0277-Cannot inline function _Zan4EnumS_ - data type mismatch (test.cpp: 8)

which apparently are difficult to suppress, at least --diag_suppress=277 doesn’t work.

A small reproducer is

enum struct Enum : long { value };

inline Enum operator&(Enum lhs, Enum rhs) {
  return Enum::value;
}

int main() {
  auto x = Enum::value & Enum::value;
}

which produces

$ nvc++ -O2 test.cpp
NVC++-W-0277-Cannot inline function _Zan4EnumS_ - data type mismatch (test.cpp: 8)
NVC++/x86-64 Linux 21.9-0: compilation completed with warnings

If the underlying type is changed from long to int or unsigned, the warning disappears.

As far as I know this is “only” annoying, but it would be great if it could be fixed or suppressed somehow.

Hmm, we should have added support for autoinlineing of enum types a few releases ago, so this looks like a case that we may have missed. I’ve sent to engineering to review. The code will still be functional, just missing an optimization.

As for error suppression, “–diag_suppress” is only available for the front-end compiler. The back-end compiler is only able to suppress all warnings via “-w” as opposed to individual warnings.

Just to add that we updated to NVHPC 22.1 and still see this warning.

Hi olupton,

Yes, and it may be awhile given it’s just a warning. Also it’s only the auto-inliner (i.e. implicit inlining with the “inline” keyword). The routine will inline with the “-Minline” flag. So as a work around compile with:

% nvc++ enum.cpp -Minfo=inline -V22.1 -O2 -Minline -Mnoautoinline
main:
      8, operator &(Enum, Enum) inlined, size=1, file enum.cpp (3)

-Mat