Nvhpc-24-3 cannot be installed on ubuntu 24.04?

Hi,

It seems that nvhpc-24-3 cannot be installed on ubuntu 24.04 due to incompatible dependence on libncursesw5 and libtinfo5.

Here is my test. I have added

$ uname -a
Linux 6.8.0-31-generic #31-Ubuntu SMP PREEMPT_DYNAMIC Sat Apr 20 00:40:06 UTC 2024 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

$ sudo echo "deb [trusted=yes] https://developer.download.nvidia.com/hpc-sdk/ubuntu/amd64 /" > /etc/apt/sources.list.d/nvhpc.list
$ sudo apt update -y                                                                                        
$ sudo apt install -y nvhpc                                                                                 

$ sudo apt install  nvhpc-24-3
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Reading state information... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
 nvhpc-24-3 : Depends: libncursesw5 but it is not installable
              Depends: libtinfo5 but it is not installable
E: Unable to correct problems, you have held broken packages.

Note that ubuntu 24.04 contains libncursesw6 and libtinfo6 by default.

Thank you for taking a look.

Thanks zaikunzhang, I’ll ask our manufacturing team to take a look.

Though note that the Ubuntu 24.04 is not a supported OS for 24.3. The list of supported OS can be found in our release notes: Release Notes Version 24.3

They let me know that this is a known issue and should have a fix for this in an upcoming release.

1 Like

Hi,

Similar story for me for cuda-toolkit-12.2.

I just installed Ubuntu 24.04 LTS. I have a GeForce GTX 1650, so the Nvidia 535 driver was installed (I assume Ubuntu 24.04 still has not updated to 550. From reading the Nvidia 1650 details I understand the 550 driver should be OK for the 1650, is that correct?).

I tried to install the cuda-toolkit 12.2, but the libtinfo5 was required. I downloaded and installed it. Installation of 12.2 went fine.

@marco.a - I do believe 550 driver should be okay for the 1650, from looking at documentation.

Glad to hear you were able to overcome any dependency issues. We’re hoping to make 24.04 explicitly supported in a future release, possibly 24.7. However, currently, we’re waiting on some HPC SDK dependencies to properly support and work on 24.04.