Nvidea Geforce RTX 3060 not detected by ubuntu 21.10

The driver is installed now so make sure nvidia-prime is installed
sudo apt install nvidia-prime
-switch to nvidia
sudo prime-select nvidia
-reboot.

Its all working now many thanks to you both.

I’m afraid I spoke to soon.

I now have a boot time of some 90 seconds before I can log in and a pop-up saying Kernel 5.15.13 available, show or install. I don’t know whether to install it or not given the trouble I have had to date.

long story short:
the new mainline kernels are not compatible with ubuntu 20.4.
In order to use them, you need to switch to the tuxinvader ppa.

Regarding the long boot time, a new bug report is needed.

I am using 21.1 and see no reason to change at the moment. I really wouldn’t know whether I should or shouldn’t anyway.

How/where to submit a bug report pls?

like you already did above…

Bug report uploaded.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (301.8 KB)

It goes like this:

1. switch on the machine
  2. 10 seconds grub
  3. desktop background comes on - only background
  4. after 1 minute I give up and press any key
  5. login is available immediately

Timings are approximate and pressing a key after a minute maybe a coincidence as I have never waited longer than a minute. However, I will check at next boot.

Today I timed the time it took for me to be able to login without pressing any keys and I gave up and started pressing keys after 90 seconds.

I shut the machine down and booted again. This time I immediately started pressing a single key each second. After 2 minutes 12 seconds I started to press multiple keys because I was still faced with no login. At 2 minutes 55 seconds I was able to login. I noticed that the keys I had been pressing totally filled the login box and had to be deleted.

This has begun immediately after or shortly after setting up the Nvidia GFX card. I am now unsure whether I will be able to login soon.

I have had a quick search for this problem and see many complaints.

I just searched through the BIOS for any setting which may need changing due to installing this Nvidia card and found nothing.

When I came to reboot into Ubuntu I was faced with the desktop background only again and sat for 5 minutes before rebooting into Windows 10. This OS worked fine.

It is looking as if I may have lost my Ubuntu machine!

I rebooted the machine, chose Ubuntu, got the same desktop background, turned off the display and left.

75 minutes later I came back, turned on the display to be greeted with a ‘no video’ message. After a hard reboot I am back in Windows.

I have the suspicion the intel gfx is interfering, maybe starting a wayland session with the login running on the intel which has no monitor connected to it.
Please try setting kernel parameter
nomodeset
https://askubuntu.com/questions/19486/how-do-i-add-a-kernel-boot-parameter

I have already tried that to no avail, still same problems which seems to be getting worse. (My imagination probably)

I have updated the BIOS to the latest and now looking into what ME Firmware is to see if that needs updating. In the BIOS I have set the default display to PCIe and that worked ok on reboot but I have had to revert to windows to communicate.
I think I should try the permanent method of adding nomodeset and will do that now. Btw I don’t as far as I remeber get a kernel choice option but will note what I do find.

While waiting, does a switch to VT (ctrl+alt+f4) work? Does all of this also happen in the recovery mode?
Please create a journal output
sudo journalctl -b0 >journal.txt
and attach it.

While waiting, does a switch to VT (ctrl+alt+f4) work? You mean waiting for login?
I get a text login screen and can use this to avoid a hard reboot by using startx.
In recovery mode?
I get to a recovery menu, select resume and get back to the desktop without login as before
journal.txt (252.7 KB)

I video’d the login from selecting ubuntu and noticed:
hdaudio hdaudioC0D2: Unable to bind to the codec
Which I have never seen before

I have found that the login appears immediately if I move the mouse.

If, while the screen just shows the background, I type say 3 o 4 characters and then move the mouse the characters are detected and show in the login.

Tried: sudo dpkg-reconfigure lightdm

To no effect.

Uninstalled and re-installed lightdm and now when I enter my password (after moving the mouse) I get a failed to authenticate error and can only get in from VT (ctrl+alt+f4) and startx

I have finally found what is causing the problem with no login appearing on the desktop!

I have a dual screen setup and using the ubuntu display manager I set up the screen to move to the right. The display manager pops up at every boot and I have to select that option secondary screen to the right.

However, if I have no intention of using that screen on the right I turn off the display. I found that ubuntu forgets which screen is the default/main screen and uses the right hand screen as default. Therefore on boot the login is on the right screen with the mouse effectively just right of centre between both screens. So, when I move the mouse left the login appears as if by magic.

So my initial problem is partly solved but in finding the solution so far I have caused another - authenticate failure.

I also have the problem which caused the initial problem - that of why the display manager is not working correctly imo. Although, perhaps I should always have both screens on at boot?

Now, when I reboot I am unable to authenticate and cannot find a solution. Is any help for that available here?

I see a lot of errors in /etc/lightdm/lightdm.conf.d but I am unsure how to post here.

I will look into when the wrong screen is chosen on boot later.

Switching to gdm solves both problems:

The login screen is the selected Primary screen and the authenticate is fixed too. Also, I can now have the Secondary screen switched off and avoid the Primary screen switching to the Secondary screen.

I prefer lightdm but even purging it and reinstalling does not fix the problems:

1. Authenticate not working
  2. The selected Primary screen does not work. Instead both screens are mirrored. After login the Primary screen switched to the Secondary screen. This is what has been causing the login ‘delay’ until the mouse was moved because that screen was switched off.

I would prefer to use lightdm as it is lighter and faster than gdm3 but better stay with gdm3 now all is working and I can actually begin to use the new expensive Nvidia card. Perhaps in a few weeks I can sort lightdm out. It seems to be that the Ubuntu Display options are not working correctly.