Nvidia 495.46 does not resume after suspend

I’m on Linux 5.15.10 (Arch Linux) and with a GeForce GTX 1650, and since updating the nvidia driver from 470.74 to 495.46, the X11 display does not show up again after suspending and resuming. The machine itself still works (e.g. via ssh), and restarting X correctly yields a new X11 session again.

Steps to reproduce:

1. Start X11 session with nvidia 495 driver
  2. Run: systemctl suspend -i
  3. wake the system up from suspend (i.e. resume)

Problem: X11 display does not show up (instead, only the black frame buffer with some initramfs-messages is shown).

Strangely, when downgrading the kernel and nvidia driver to the pre-upgrade versions, the issue now exists also there. Please help me. I’m really out of ideas now, this is super frustrating :-(

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (312.4 KB)

I’ve just found out why downgrading does not help:
The issue is triggered by the update xorg-server 21.1.1-3 → 21.1.2-1. All the above mentioned versions of nvidia and linux-kernel work fine with xorg-server 21.1.1-3. Still, I’m not sure who is behaving wrong: nvidia, linux-kernel, or xorg-server. Any Ideas?

Reverting the logind commits from the 3rd of December fixes this for me.
https://cgit.freedesktop.org/xorg/xserver/log/?h=server-21.1-branch

2 Likes

Hi,

this issue will very likely be fixed with systemd_logind_vtenter is not called by xserver 21.1.2 (#1271) · Issues · xorg / xserver · GitLab

1 Like