Had anyone managed to fix ‘argb8888 && xrgb8888’? I cant get any logs out of sway and this is all i have, running 510-39-01.
sway-git and wlroots-git don’t have the error for me
Currently the two linux distros i use are Void and Gentoo. I dont think i cam do that but will it be the same as building from master?
I built from source on github!
after installing arch and all the necessary -git stuff, and 510 driver
Xwayland sucks. i will go back to regular X, thanks for your help.
I’m loving Sway on Nvidia so far! Multiple monitors work great, there’s no screen tearing when scrolling on Firefox, resizing apps is fast, and games run wonderfully.
However, I’m running into major issues with every Electron app I run, and some XWayland ones such as
xeyes. There are countless artifacts, including z-fighting, flickering, and weird redrawing issues.
I did notice all Element apps seem to run in XWayland (despite me setting the Ozone flags in
~/.config/electron-flags.conf), but forcing Wayland through directly passing the arguments
--enable-features=UseOzonePlatform --ozone-platform=wayland to the program (Element Desktop as an example) does not seem to fix the rendering issues.
Here’s an example of the redrawing issues that occur with xeyes:
Has anyone else encountered these issues? Is there a current workaround? It’s pretty much the only thing keeping me from switching to it fully.
I followed the above video but wlroots-eglstream-git didn’t seem to do the job for me (RTX 2080 Super): sway was stalling on startup.
Using wlroots-git i/o wlroots-eglstream-git (which by the way doesn’t seem to be maintained anymore) did the trick. I’ve had flickers in the beginning but they seem to have disappeared after a reboot.
Thanks a lot to all this thread’s participant for putting all this together :)
This is becoming my favourite environment. The only issues that prevent me using this all the time (instead of i3) are:
- The electron issue @thesuncat123 describes above.
- Screen sharing via pipewire seems completely broken
If anyone got to the bottom of the electron issue please share! Looks like screen sharing is in the works.
Anyone test out the newest drivers to see if there is improvement, maybe there will be more supports with the kernel module being open sourced
What I’ve observed with Sway 1.7 on the 515.43.04 drivers:
- wlroots-eglstreams has been discontinued after the maintainer’s GPU broke, so GBM is the only way forward now
- Hardware cursor is still broken
- Generally, flickering still happens sometimes randomly (the flicker seems worse under XWayland)
- foot terminal still sees a lot of flickering every time the terminal needs to refresh
- Lots of flickering in VS Code as well (using Wayland flags, don’t have the same problem with Signal Desktop which also uses Electron)
- Screensharing is broken as others have discussed above
- The newest release of wf-recorder (from 2020) is broken but the git release works fine
- This official Nvidia post has a lot of info as well: Wayland information for r515 beta release
Honestly, not much has changed since 495 and most of the same issues are still there. The open source release is still alpha on GeForce cards and I had trouble booting my system even with the
NVreg_OpenRmEnableUnsupportedGpus=1 option with the nvidia-open package. Hopefully it’ll allow contributors to help with development and make Nouveau better as well.