NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) prevents new Desktops closing

I write Open Source programs for Windows. The latest program creates a new Desktop object, runs a thread on it, switches back to the Default desktop and closes the new desktop created earlier. However, on my Windows 7 64-bit system, the new Desktops just hang around. I thought I had found a problem with this function and raised an issue with Microsoft MSDN forum (see below), however, after more research, I determined that the problem is caused by the NVIDIA Display Driver Service preventing the Desktops from closing. On stopping this service, all Desktops “pending closure” close without issue.

The link to the description and a simple C++ program to show the effect is at:

http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/windowsdesktop/en-US/18872fb4-3445-494f-9836-261a3a553f11/closedesktop-function-doesnt-seem-to-work-in-windows-7?forum=windowsgeneraldevelopmentissues

As the programs are run by users who may not have the access to stop this service, I am looking for a way to still run it (I am told by your Customer Care that it is important) but without it stopping Desktops from closing. Note: I have updated my NVIDIA software to the latest current level 337.88 for my adapter (NVIDIA GeForce 9600M GT) but this did not cure the problem.

Thank you

You’ve posted this in the CUDA programming section. I don’t think it has anything to do with CUDA programming.

I did this on the suggestion of the NVIDIA Customer Care Live Chat representative. If you know a better place to put, I will certainly do it.

BTW - The only references (4 including mine) in these forums for the NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) are in this particular forum.