NVIDIA Driver 384.59 Not Installing - Can't load nvidia-drm, can't open display

Please run

sudo rm /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so
sudo rm /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so

sudo update-alternatives --set i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/alt_ld.so.conf
sudo update-alternatives --set i386-linux-gnu_egl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/alt_ld.so.conf
sudo update-alternatives --set x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/ld.so.conf
sudo update-alternatives --set x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/ld.so.conf

and post any errors that appear, reboot.

Argh…

Here’s what I typed in:

me@Bedrock:~$ sudo rm /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGLESv2.so  
me@Bedrock:~$ sudo rm /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libGL.so 
me@Bedrock:~$ sudo update-alternatives --set i386-linux-gnu_gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/alt_ld.so.conf 
me@Bedrock:~$ sudo update-alternatives --set i386-linux-gnu_egl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/alt_ld.so.conf 
me@Bedrock:~$ sudo update-alternatives --set x86_64-linux-gnu_gl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/ld.so.conf 
me@Bedrock:~$ sudo update-alternatives --set x86_64-linux-gnu_egl_conf /usr/lib/nvidia-384/ld.so.conf

After reboot, I didn’t see any behavioral change in what the machine did. Which logs should I attach, or should I start preparing to reinstall the OS?

This is really odd, something must be really broken in your graphics stack and I’m out of ideas. So it’s better to do a clean reinstall. I also don’t see any sign of a hardware failure in dmesg. For the records, you could post a new nvidia-bug-report and .xsession-errors while on -112. And don’t use the .run installer.