Nvidia driver 435.17 worked, 435.21 gives black screen [solved]

Hi all -

Using nvidia-drivers on gentoo, 5.2.10 kernel. Everything worked great on 435.17 using the following xorg config on my HP Envy laptop:

Section “ServerLayout”
Identifier “layout”
Screen 0 “nvidia”
Inactive “intel”
EndSection

Section “Device”
Identifier “nvidia”
Driver “nvidia”
BusID “2:0:0”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “nvidia”
Device “nvidia”
Option “AllowEmptyInitialConfiguration”
EndSection

Section “Device”
Identifier “intel”
Driver “modesetting”
EndSection

Section “Screen”
Identifier “intel”
Device “intel”
EndSection

Section “Module”
Load “dbe”
EndSection

This should be the correct configuration. I know this isn’t all the info needed, just let me know what else to post. I am just interested in rendering with the dGPU. Not concerned about batteries, whatnot.

Thanks

Which DM/DE? How do you run the necessary xrandr commands?
Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting .gz file to your post. Hovering the mouse over an existing post of yours will reveal a paperclip icon.
[url]https://devtalk.nvidia.com/default/topic/1043347/announcements/attaching-files-to-forum-topics-posts/[/url]

I use i3 and run from startx - here is my .xinitrc:

xrandr --setprovideroutputsource modesetting NVIDIA-0
xrandr --auto

#exec /usr/bin/startfluxbox
[[ -f ~/.Xresources ]] && xrdb -merge ~/.Xresources

exec i3

The bug report is attached.

Thanks!
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.11 MB)

For what it is worth, here is the log generated from my system with everything seemingly working…
nvidia-bug-report-435.17.log.gz (1.12 MB)

The kernel driver is incorrectly installed:

[   56.414078] nvidia-modeset: Version mismatch: nvidia.ko(435.21) nvidia-modeset.ko(435.17)
[   56.965812] nvidia-modeset: Version mismatch: nvidia.ko(435.21) nvidia-modeset.ko(435.17)

So you’re running half 435.17 and half 435.21.
Please post the output of
emerge -pv nvidia-drivers

Ahhh - that was it - I accidentally disabled kms but never uninstalled - so when it rebuilt later, it kept the old modeset module. I got them all synced up and everything works fine now. Nice catch - thanks!