NVIDIA Driver is not loaded after update from CUDA Toolkit 10.1 to 11.3

Hello!

Yesterday I tried updating my CUDA Toolkit from 10.1 to 11.3 using the CUDA install guide , I seem to have messed up pretty bad. I am no longer able to run compiled CUDA code, the outputs are just jibberish.

I’ve tried many approaches that I found in these forums but I’m at my wits end with this.

Here are some of my outputs:

nvidia-smi

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

nvidia-settings

ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded
ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system
(nvidia-settings:27954): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 13:30:10.150: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT >(object)’ failed
** Message: 13:30:10.193: PRIME: Usage: /usr/bin/prime-select nvidia|intel|on-demand|query
** Message: 13:30:10.193: PRIME: is “on-demand” mode supported? yes

This one is weird because under the NVIDIA X Server Settings app I am set to ‘NVIDIA (Performance Mode)’

As I am a beginner when it comes to linux, it took me a while to learn about ubuntu-drivers devices. It recommends nvidia-driver-465

Additionally, here is the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.2 MB)

Thank you!

nvidiafb is loaded and blocking the nvidia driver. Please create
/etc/modprobe.d/nvidiafb-blacklist.conf

blacklist nvidiafb
blacklist nouveau

then run
sudo update-initramfs -u
and reboot.

1 Like

Thank you so, so much! Everything works again.
How can I make it up to you?

Also, if I may ask, what was my mistake, how did I mess the drivers up this way (so I can avoid doing that in the future)? I suspect it was that I hadn’t deactivated secure boot when I first updated CUDA. Could that be it? Or was the mistake updating to the Toolkit version 11.3?

It’s recommended to not install the full ‘cuda’ metapackage on ubuntu but only ‘cuda-toolkit’ and use the driver from the normal repo which comes with all settings necessary.

1 Like