NVIDIA driver is not loaded. Ubuntu 18.10

You can also use the runfile installer with --dkms switch to have the driver auto-compiled on kernel update.

Please note! There is a regression in the ubuntu-drivers-common that broke nvidia-prime and nvidia-settings. The problem is that the new ubuntu-drivers-common is using the file /var/lib/ubuntu-drivers-common/requires_offloading to decide whether an offloading is required but the file is no longer present in Intel mode.

You can fix it manually by editing a config file or there is already a fix in the nvidia-prime-applet package, just posted a couple of days ago. You find all details in the following thread: https://github.com/linuxmint/nvidia-prime-applet/issues/7

Hi, I read a lot of the issues before, but nothing really worked for me. Perhaps I have the issue like @ps-msi mentioned, but I cannot fix it this way.
Please find attached the report:
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (367.7 KB)

[Possible SOLUTION ! for Black Screen UBUNTU and latest 460 driver!]
after 48 hours of struggle, managed to solve similar issue…

1 Like

Hi,

I’m having basically the same issues as everyone in this post, even after following all the suggestions. I’m currently running the 430 drivers for an MX230.

Things checked:

• secure boot is disabled
  • no blacklist-nvidia.conf file exists
  • no multiple versions of drivers installed

my dkms status is as follows:

nvidia, 465.27, 5.0.0-31-generic, x86_64: installed
nvidia, 465.27, 5.4.0-74-generic, x86_64: installed

Cheers,
Eren

I am also having the same problem as everyone else, I started my own thread about it but have not received any feedback from nvidia.

Hi, I am also experiencing same problem. I can run nvcc --version and it displays relevant information. But when I run nvidia-smi, it doesn’t work. It works fine a few days ago.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (155.0 KB)

Please disable secure boot in bios or enable module signing in Ubuntu.

Dear all,

I’m using a MSI GP66 Leopard laptop, with Nvidia Geforce RTX graphic card. I installed Ubuntu 18.04 from scratch. But whenever I installed nvidia driver, after rebooting, the computer went to a black screen, and failed to open GUI. I have disabled secure boot in bios.

I’ve visited almost all links available on this and other Q&A forums, and tried their suggestions, but none of them practically solved my issue.

I installed nvidia-driver-465 using sudo apt-get install. I’ve also tried directly installing .run or .deb files as well.

The attached is my nvidia bug report; one with ‘nvidia-drm.modeset=1’ in ‘/etc/default/grub/’ for ‘GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT’, while the other without this param setting.

Once entering tty3, the command ‘nvidia-smi’ did work without any error though. If I change back to intel using ‘prime-select’, the system starts its GUI successfully but leading to ‘nvidia-smi’ failure.

I also tried changing from gdm3 to lightdm but the problem still remained the same.

Any help would be much appreciated.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (316.8 KB)
nvidia-bug-report-with-modeset.log.gz (337.1 KB)

You need to install a newer kernel that supports your intel gpu.
https://www.techrepublic.com/article/a-case-for-and-against-upgrading-ubuntu-to-kernel-5-8-and-how-to-do-it/
Though this might break the nvidia driver since a newer gcc is needed, so YMMV.

thank you generix for your answer.
I want to use my nvidia gpu though, not the intel one. could you provide any suggestion for that?

The intel gpu is primary, driving the display. Without it, nothing will work.

Hello,

I am also facing this same problem with nvidia-smi:
NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I am using:

• MSI GS66 with i7-10870H, with VGA GeForce RTX3070.
  • Ubuntu 20.04 with 5.12.10-051210-generic kernel
  • safe boot disabled.

Statuses:

• dkms status gives: “nvidia, 470.42.01: added”
  • nvidia-settings gives:
    "ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

(nvidia-settings:20633): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 15:15:19.715: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed
"

• no blacklist_nvidia.conf files exist in /lib/modprobe.d

I’m also having trouble connecting the laptop to an external monitor.

Please help! Thank you.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (129.6 KB)

Seems the kernel driver doesn’t compile, please try reinstalling the generic headers for your kernel, also try running
sudo dkms install nvidia/470.42.01
and post any errors and make.log

1 Like

Hello,
I have a similar issue using: Ubuntu 21.04 5.12.11-051211-generic and GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Mobile

nvidia-smi: NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

nvidia-settings:
ERROR: NVIDIA driver is not loaded

ERROR: Unable to load info from any available system

(nvidia-settings:27690): GLib-GObject-CRITICAL **: 11:43:16.219: g_object_unref: assertion ‘G_IS_OBJECT (object)’ failed

dkms status:
nvidia, 460.91.03: added

no blacklist_nvidia.conf file exists

When I try dkms install nvidia/460.91.03 I get:
Error! Your kernel headers for kernel 5.12.11-051211-generic cannot be found.
Please install the linux-headers-5.12.11-051211-generic package,
or use the --kernelsourcedir option to tell DKMS where it’s located

Please find the nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file attached.

Any help will be very much appreciated! Thanks!
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (127.7 KB)

Great solution, which worked for me. While I guess I’m more risky as I chose automatic updates and I hear this may cause this issue. I’m testing a solution to re-create the blacklist file for nvidia and chattr +i the file. Let’s see if it occurs again. :)

Hi Generix,

Thank you so much for the pointers! I managed to get it resolved by downgrading my kernel to 5.10.0

I am also having problems with my driver in Ubuntu 18.04 with a GPU Geforce RTX 3060 and CPU intel core i7. I have installed the driver by all the methods I have seen online, but on all of them I get the following after introducing the command nvidia-smi:

“NVIDIA-SMI has failed becnvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.0 MB)
ause it couldn’t communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running”

Right now I am trying with the driver 460, but I have also tried with 470.

I don have the file:

“/lib/modprobe.d/blacklist-nvidia.conf”

If I introduce the command sudo prime-select nvidia, I get:

“Info: the nvidia profile is already set”

I attach my bug report. If any one knows what is going on, I would really appreciate the help.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (1.0 MB)

Thanks.

Hello,

I have the same problems as everyone else. I cannot get the nvidia drivers to load.

Ubuntu 20.04.3 LTS (Intel core i7 960 @ 3.20GHz x8)
nVidia GeForce GT 240

• Package nvidia-prime is installed
  • nvidia profile already set
  • No blacklist-nvidia.conf file in modprobe.d directory.
  • No nvidia entry in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
  • No secure boot option in BIOS.

I have tried installing a few different nvidia drivers (470, 440, 340) but I haven’t gotten anyone to work.

If anyone could figure out what is going on, I would really appreciate the help.

nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (129.0 KB)

Thanks

Problem solved: updated drivers, purged gnome, reinstalled mate.