Nvidia driver only working on my external monitor

Hi all, hopefully someone can help. I have been through several threads and have tried quite a few recommendations (too many to remember at this point) and fear that I may have messed up my situation more than what it was.

My ubuntu was working well until yesterday, barring the odd, random pixelations and screen flickering that I would experience. I saw that there was an update for the nvidia drivers available and decided to try them out with the hopes of sorting out my issues.

Needless to say this did not end well and I ended up removing and reinstalling the older drivers. The issue now is that I only have display on an external monitor and nothing on my internal one. If I remove all nvidia drivers, then I have display on the internal one, but not on the external one.

nvidia-bug-report.log (1.2 MB)

Please remove the “nomodeset” kernel parameter.

There is no “nomodeset” in the kernel, but I think I set the one for nvidia.conf to 0. Would that need to be changed too?

Your last boot was with ro quiet splash nomodeset libata.noacpi=1 vt.handoff=7
Please run sudo update-grub and reboot, the post the output of cat /proc/cmdline

Now the internal monitor is showing display, but the external is not working.

cat /proc/cmdline
BOOT_IMAGE=/boot/vmlinuz-6.5.0-35-generic root=UUID=3a945f81-9225-443c-bc6c-bf3c1cd6c746 ro quiet splash vt.handoff=7

Please set kernel parameter nvidia-drm.modeset=1 and create a new nvidia-bug-report.log after reboot.

I now have display on both monitors, but it seems to be running off of the onboard gpu.
nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (414.3 KB)

All drivers are functional now and you’re running a Wayland session with the nvidia gpu as secondary gpu.
Please check how to use render offload (or use “run on dgpu” if available
https://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/435.17/README/primerenderoffload.html
or switch to Xorg, use prime-select to switch to the nvidia gpu as primary (not recommended).

Forgive my noobiness, but using render offload seems to suggest that I need to switch to Xorg regardless?

So I switched over to X11, where both monitors are working and the dedicated gpu is working “on-demand”.

Thank you very much for your input and overall dedication to everyone, not just me!!

Render offload also works in Wayland through Xwayland.