NVIDIA Drivers not working with new kernel

Hello!

I had a previous issue with my laptop (i7-12700H w/RTX3060) not picking up the drivers which was resolved by installing the liquorix kernel (which as far as I understood was 5.17.0-5 (a patch for 5.17.0)).

While this kernel did fix the driver problem it introduced some issues that I had to live with for quite some time, particularly the CPU speed apparently being capped at 2700MHz (that was the max listed speed when I did lscpu | grep MHz), even though it should be 4700MHz as listed in Intel’s website. I also had other minor things such as keyboard backlight brightness keys not working.

Long story short today I updated my kernel to 5.17.7 via mainline. The keyboard backlight brightness keys now work and when I lscpu | grep MHz the max MHz is correct. However, when I do nvidia-smi the system no longer picks up the GPU driver. I tried booting up the liquorix kernel and it also doesn’t recognizes it (although gradients look normal, which they didn’t before I fixed it the first time).

What should I try?

The mainline kernel header package is incompatible, only works/installs with 22.04 so the driver can’t be built. Please revert to the liquorix kernel and update that, current version should be 5.17.0-11

Okay so I first removed the already-installed kernel and the ppa repo (also did autoremove to get the cleanest install I could). Then I did the installation steps again, added the repo, apt updated and installed.

nvidia-smi works fine now, so do the keyboard backlight keys. However, the lscpu | grep MHz command still shows a max mhz cap of 2600MHz instead of 4700.

I managed to fix the cpu max mhz thing by modifying the grub file.

sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

edit the “GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT” adding “intel_pstate=enable”

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash intel_pstate=enable"

and finally

sudo update-grub

Reboot, checked again and it’s back to 4700MHz Max Speed. Now everything works as it should. Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.