Nvidia drivers removed suddenly

My computer has ubuntu 16.04 OS. I installed CUDA 8.0 and I installed Nvidia Driver ‘NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-384.59’ separately. It was working fine for months without problem. However, while I am working suddenly my computer was hanging and i decide to restart it. When I restarted, one of my screen was on and the other was off (I have two screens). And when I ran nvidia-smi I had this message:

NVIDIA-SMI has failed because it couldn't communicate with the NVIDIA driver. Make sure that the latest NVIDIA driver is installed and running.

I tried nvcc -V and I got this message:

nvcc: NVIDIA (R) Cuda compiler driver
Copyright (c) 2005-2016 NVIDIA Corporation
Built on Tue_Jan_10_13:22:03_CST_2017
Cuda compilation tools, release 8.0, V8.0.61

I had this problem many times before, and each time I had to remove the cuda and reinstall it and reinstall the nvidia driver as well. However, last time I install the nvidia driver separately from CUDA(not the driver that coming with CUDA), and it worked and last for months.
I just dont want to reinstall Nvidia each time, I restart my computer. If any one knows the core reason of this problem, so I dont face it again, please let me know. I am not expert on ubuntu or the drivers.

If you have updating turned on for your Ubuntu install, certain updates can “break” the driver - e.g. a kernel upgrade would break the GPU driver. Usually a restart is needed to trigger incorporation of a major update like a kernel upgrade.

The mechanism to avoid this would be to use something like DKMS to manage the update process, but it may not cover every possible case. And depending on how you installed the GPU driver, DKMS may or may not have been engaged for it.

If you turn off auto-updating on Ubuntu, then this issue may be avoided (if what you are experiencing is due to updates).

Thank you! I reinstalled the Nvidia driver and I will turn off the auto updating in Ubuntu

Hi,
I am facing the same problem again. I turned off the update, and today I found my computer has shut down and when I turned on I found the nvidia driver has been removed. Any one has an idea why is that happening with me.

you may find some clue in log files, in my opinion.