Nvidia GTX 470 - CentOS 6 issue with libGL

Dear all,

I am experiencing an issue with NVIDIA graphics coupling with (I think) OpenGL, which is totally out of my comprehension about graphs settings. My apologies in advance if the information I might bring would not be optimal at first, I’ll do my best to compensate.

In our research group, we have a workstation running under CentOS 6.10, which has an Nvidia GTX 470 graphics card. The OS used to run on nouveau as default, but I was able to switch to Nvidia, via epel packages (managed directly in CentOS with yum). Now I am running under nvidia drivers (390.116), yet I keep encountering the following error when displaying graphics:

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast

This shows up even for simple programs, such as nvidia-settings. The trouble is, I have to face some 3D modeling, and seems like this error is preventing me from using any graphical application which deals with 3D (programs are launched and do their job, except from showing any model).

I attach below the output for glxinfo | grep version, lshw -c display | grep driver, nvidia detect.
Any help is welcome, since I have no idea on what to do in order to fix this. OS and libraries are updated at their latest version. Mesa drivers were installed by default.

Thanks in advance,

Matt

=========================================================================================
glxinfo | grep version

libGL error: No matching fbConfigs or visuals found
libGL error: failed to load driver: swrast
server glx version string: 1.4
client glx version string: 1.4
GLX version: 1.4
OpenGL version string: 1.4 (2.1.2 NVIDIA 390.116)

=========================================================================================

lshw -c display | grep driver

configuration: driver=nvidia latency=0

nvidia-detect

kmod-nvidia-390xx