Nvidia incompatibility with RHEL 7.6?

Hello,

New to both Linux (RHEL) and Nvidia, so thank you in advance for your patience.

A recent attempt at an upgrade to RHEL 7.6 failed with the following error messages:

file /usr/lib64/vdpau from install of mesa-filesystem-18.0.5-4.el7_6.x86_64 conflicts with file from package nvidia-375.20-x86_64.el7.1.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/libGLdispatch.so.0 from install of libglvnd-1:1.0.1-0.8.git5baa1e5.el7.x86_64 conflicts with file from package nvidia-375.20-x86_64.el7.1.x86_64
file /usr/lib64/libGLX.so.0 from install of libglvnd-glx-1:1.0.1-0.8.git5baa1e5.el7.x86_64 conflicts with file from package nvidia-375.20-x86_64.el7.1.x86_64

It looks like there is a conflict between elements of the 7.6 upgrade and the current Nvidia driver (I have a Quadro P400/PCIe/SSE2 card).

Any suggestions, with steps, if possible, on how to fix this situation will be greatly appreciated!

Nina

Basically, you’ll have to uninstall the driver, then upgrade rhel, then re-install the driver.
This looks like you have previously installed the driver from a repo like rpmfusion, negativo17 or the like, which one are you using? Please post the output of

yum repolist enabled

to uninstall, you should first disable the Xserver from starting on boot and stop it
move to VT (ctrl+alt+f1), login

sudo systemctl disable gdm
sudo systemctl stop gdm

afterwards, remove the driver

sudo yum autoremove nvidia*

Then an upgrade to 7.6 should be possible
After a reboot, you should be back at text console, log in.
Reinstalling the nvidia driver depends on the repo used.
might be

sudo yum install nvidia-settings kernel-devel dkms-nvidia nvidia-driver-libs.i686 nvidia-driver-cuda

Afterwards, re-enable gdm

sudo systemctl enable gdm

and reboot.

Thank you–the details make this a great post. This is a new (to me) Dell Tower and the Nvidia driver was installed at the factory. Here is the output of

yum repolist enabled

repo id repo name
!rhel-7-workstation-rpms/7workstation/x86-64 Red Hat Enterprise Linux Workstation (RPMs)
repolist: 25, 420

Any suggestions about which driver I should use when I perform the re-install will be most welcome! Maybe it will be the same one?

Ok, looks like Dell didn’t add any repo but just installed the driver rpms. So you should add one yourself (after uninstall and rhel upgrade):
https://rpmfusion.org/Configuration/
and then install the driver:
https://rpmfusion.org/Howto/NVIDIA#Current_GeForce.2FQuadro.2FTesla