nvidia installer spamming dialogs

As I do every now & then, I decided to update my kernel and nvidia drivers. I went from kernel 3.7.3 w/nvidia driver 310.19, to kernel 3.7.5 w/nvidia driver 310.32… When I ran the nvidia installer, I was spammed with literally hundreds of dialogs, such as:

WARNING: Unable to remove installed file ‘/usr/src/nvidia-310.19/nv-kernel.o’ (No such file or directory).

and

WARNING: Unable to remove installed file ‘/usr/src/nvidia-310.19/nv.c’ (No such file or directory).

and

WARNING: Unable to remove installed file ‘/usr/src/nvidia-310.19/nv-acpi.c’ (No such file or directory).

and

WARNING: Unable to remove installed file ‘/usr/src/nvidia-310.19/nv-chrdev.c’ (No such file or directory).

and

WARNING: Unable to remove installed file ‘/usr/src/nvidia-310.19/nv-cray.c’ (No such file or directory).

and countless more. Every single one of these requires the user to hit OK. Rather than spamming the user like there’s no tomorrow, and forcing countless hits of OK, how about put all this junk into a log file somewhere and tell the user there were warning and he/she can refer to the logfile if there’s any interest?

Did/does the installer work? Yes… But, that doesn’t mean it has to or should be unnecessarily annoying, especially when it’s 100% avoidable.

Thanks.

Thanks for reporting this. I’ve filed bug 1225868 to track it. In the meantime, you can pass the --no-questions option to the .run installer to make it auto-accept the dialogs. Please note that this also provides the default answer to other questions so only use it if you would otherwise just mash the enter key during the install process.

Thanks for the help aplattner!

Just a quick update… Passing --no-questions does not auto-accept the OK button on these dialogs. You still have to sit there mashing the enter key unfortunately.

This should be fixed in a future release.