Nvidia Jetson , JP 5.1.1 , FPD Link DS90UB960-Q1 , camera sensor drivers needed?

Hi,
I’m new with the cameras area and I have three questions after reading the following post:

My setup is Nvidia Jetson (lets say Xavier NX or Orin NX) with JP 5.1.1 , an FPD link iii model DS90UB960-Q1 connected to it via i2c and a camera sensor connected to the fpd link 3.

1. I understand that the FPD link iii is operated via i2c. Why does it needs a special driver and the “regular” i2c driver is not enough in order to operate it?

2. I didn’t understand if I need driver only for the fpd link de-serializer or I need a driver for the camera sensor as well.
    the jetson is connected directly to the de-serializer and not to the camera sensor itself. So how one camera sensor knows how to work with one de-serializer without a suitable driver?

3. can you recommend some good technical source for newbies in this area such as myself? (I admit I tried to read the dev guide , camera section but I got lost)

last question please:
I found FPD Link DS90UB960-Q1 linux driver in kernel v6.6:

is it possible to “port” it to jp5.1.1 kernel 5.10?

Thanks

hello BSP_User,

you’ll need SerDes driver, and camera sensor driver, and its device tree settings to enable camera use-case.
for instance, you may check reference driver, imx390 which is running with GMSL protocol with maxim SerDes chip (i.e. max9295/max9296)
please see-also developer guide, Jetson Virtual Channel with GMSL Camera Framework.

please check it’s using kernel APIs with version 5.10, otherwise you may see compatibility failures.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.