NVIDIA Logo at boot (GeForce 9600 GT on Ubuntu 18.04)

Hello

I installed Ubuntu 18.04 on my iMac couple of days ago and it works fine with Nouveau driver.
Additional Drivers tab recognizes the NVIDIA card and suggests to use NVIDIA 340.107.
I installed it but on reboot it gets stuck at NVIDIA logo.

I downloaded and tried to install the .run file by booting into terminal mode (terminal from grub menu, Ctrl+ Alt + F3 terminal option, as well as telinit 3 option).

Using .run file it installs fine if I select NO for DKMS option. But fails if I select YES there.

Using Additional Drivers tab, I see no error. It just asks to reboot.

have spent days already and now at the dead end.

any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Please run nvidia-bug-report.sh as root and attach the resulting nvidia-bug-report.log.gz file to your post. You will have to rename the file ending to something else since the forum software doesn’t accept .gz files (nifty!).
If you have internet connection, you can use pastebinit to upload it from console.

• install pastebinit (sudo apt install pastebinit)
  • unzip logfile (gunzip nvidia-bug-report.log.gz)
  • upload logfile (pastebinit -i nvidia-bug-report.log)
  • note down and post the url you’re given

Thank you so much.
here is the url: https://pastebin.com/yVn7YyS0

I installed Linux Mint and now it goes to the desktop but screen has horizontal vertical green lines. and everything is frozen.

Doesn’t look good, you’re getting driver errors XID 9 and 12, I suspect that Apple model is not well supported by the nvidia linux driver. Did you check if nouveau works?

Yes. That works very well. Though it has a single resolution. On Mint I get popup that acceleration is not being used. On Ubuntu, can’t control brightness so its very bright display.

That rather sounds like FBDEV is used, not nouveau.

I am new to Linux so not fully versed with details. some places I saw nouveau so I assumed it i being used.
Is there aw ay to switch to nouveau?