NVIDIA Scaling Algorithms

Hello,

I was guided by NVIDIA support team to post my query on this forum so I will be short on subject:

1. What scaling algorithm (Bilinear, Bicubic, Lanczos, etc.) wil be used when running a custom resolution created using NVIDIA Control Panel?

2. What scaling algorithm (Bilinear, Bicubic, Lanczos, etc.) will an RTX 4000 series card use when “Perform Scaling on: GPU” is selected instead of Display scaling?

Thank you in advance and sorry if I posted this on a wrong category (first time posting here).

Best regards,
Andrew

Hello @andreif638 and welcome to the NVIDIA developer forums!

It might be that support was referring to the GeForce forums rather than the developer forums, but I can answer as well.

If you run a different resolution than the native Monitor panel resolution and the Display itself does the scaling, it is completely Display manufacturer dependent. There will rarely be downscaling. And we have no insight into which panel manufacturer uses what upscaling algorithm.

If you use the GPU, then NVIDIA will use the best algorithm for the job. It depends on upscale ratio, content, monitor specs, etc. So in short, how NVIDIA is doing the upscaling here is part of the driver implementation which I cannot share in detail.

Thanks!